Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010

BigEasy1 is on a distinguished road
Do most recommend forming an LLC for the boat partnership?
Also, is there difficulty obtaing insurance for the partnership?

David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2010

BigEasy1 is on a distinguished road
What kind of scheduling arrangements do you use to to ensure that all partners have equitable sailing time? Are there any online services that are availble to facilitate scheduling?
Old 06-08-2010

Shipislandpirate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shipislandpirate
AHOY.....Jeff....Could you please email me a copy of the Generic Partnership Agreement..It would be greatly appreciated....

Fair Winds....

John
Old 06-10-2010

trailblazer1229 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy1 View Post
What kind of scheduling arrangements do you use to to ensure that all partners have equitable sailing time? Are there any online services that are availble to facilitate scheduling?
Google calendar. Make it public and you and your parnter can see what each other is planning.
Old 06-10-2010

Qben is on a distinguished road
I'm going to second the Google calendar suggestion. I have loaded a perpetual shift calender for both myself and my partner, so we always know when the other is working. This is incredibly useful because he is a police officer and I'm a firefighter, so we both have schedules that change every week (thought it repeats about every 2 months). There is a seperate overlay (calendar) for "boat time" and we just fill it in on a first come/first served basis, with a spirit of cooperation of course, and trying to work around each other's work schedules and vacation plans as much as possible.

Changes to the calendar can be made by either party and are immediatly viewable from any internet connected computer.

On the partnership subject, I couldn't be more happy with it. It's all about finding the right partner and I place a considerably higher value (both satisfaction and monetarily) on the partnership than I do on the boat. I doubt I will ever own a boat by myself unless it's after I retire and I want to be gone for months at a time.

Qben
Old 07-19-2010

klcmass is on a distinguished road
Jeff or amthesailor - Would you please send me the agreement as well? As this is my first post I can't send private messages or insert an email. Ugh! klcmass is the email and it is at yahoo.com Thanks!
Old 04-15-2011

BenBo is on a distinguished road
Partnership Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The partnership agreement would make a very long post (even for me). If you want a copy, email me and I would be glad to send an blanked out copy.

Jeff
Jeff,
Can you send your Partnership Agreement that you refer to in you comment above. I recently put a deposit on a 1984 Ericson 30 Plus and have a partner in mind who has helped me for 7 years with cleaning, waxing, maintenance and installing improvements on my current boat, a Cal 25. I'd like to see how you have addressed the various situations that can arise with joint boat ownership.

Ben Bo
Old 04-16-2011
Cruis'n Out & About

OutnAboat is on a distinguished road
looking for Partner

We are both looking for a partner for our Lagoon 440 catamaran and wondering how to make our short list? How do you know in advance if you are all going to get along during a stressful time, when you can't tell this about someone until its too late and you're in a stressful moment - you can't trun around and say "OK" its time to review our choice... Ha Ha ist too late.

Anyway happy to see these discussions here as we go thru the partnership search.

Thanks Riitta + Connor
Old 04-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Is this a record. A thread brought back to life twice?

Well, since it's back and won't go away, I'm in with some comments.

A partnership is always the first ship to sink. The relevant language is how you get out, not in. More importantly, only accept a partner that you are confident has the financial means to take you out. Never take a partner because you couldn't afford the boat on your own or if you are not able and willing to sell it at a discount to dissolve the partnership. That is the risk of having a partner. Only take a partner because the risk of it going badly, is compensated for you possibly being able to sail at half cost. They aren't bad, just be a Boy Scout and Be Prepared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-16-2011

MSISLANDER32 is on a distinguished road
I am currently in a partnership and it works great. We deposit 250 each into a checking account in our name solely for boat expenses and slip fees. All repair fees and parts required come out of that account for a 50/50 share. It does not matter who broke it or who it stopped working for we pay for it. We also call on each other when there is good sailing weather.