Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007

Jack Tar is on a distinguished road
Tartan 42 comments

Can someone with first-hand knowledge of the Tartan 42 tell me about it's suitability for coastal Maine cruising? I particularly interested in Scheel Keeled models. We're a family with four young kids so there would only be two adult sailors and not very experienced ones at that.

The plan would be for many long weekend sails and two or three week-long excursions per year. If anyone has other boat suggestions in the under 100k range, I'm all ears but berths for six is important. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hi Jack,

Aren't you on the Latt & Att board too? Maybe just another person.

As far as the boat, do you mean sleeping berths for 6? Would a fold-down table work? We do that when people come to visit, but not practical for long term cruising. Of course, that is not what you are talking about either. If you can make something like that work, I personally would push you toward more of a coastal cruiser. You will get a newer boat, more room and liveability (important with kids), and easy to sail. I am not saying a Tartan is not easy to sail, they are awesome boats. But, a Catalina, Jeauneau, or Bene would be better suited for that use. THat is what they are made for. THey are forgiving, and there should be plenty for sale where you are looking.

If that is an option, the Catalina 36 is a very cool boat I am pretty familiar with. We lived aboard and cruised on our 380, nbut the $$ will be more than you might want to spend (maybe you could get an older one??).

Just my thoughts, but I cruise with kids too.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend a multihull, if you're just going to be doing coastal cruising, weekend sailing, and daysailing. The Gemini 105, Maine Cat 30 or TomCat 30 are going to work pretty well for that type of situation. There are a few others, but these three have the advantage of still being supported by their manufacturers. You can see some of them here.

All three of these boats have a three-cabin layout IIRC... along with the salon. They're all pretty easy to sail and fairly forgiving. Also, many people like the fact that you've got a fairly huge deck to hang out on... and the fact that you don't heel much makes it much more comfortable.

They also have the advantage of shallow draft, and can go places a monohull might not make it, and can often anchor closer to shore than a monohull. They're beachable on a soft beach made of mud or sand.

If you have questions about multihulls, let me know via PM..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-21-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2007

Thanks CD,
I'm not the Jack Tar on the Lats board. It's a pretty generic alias, I guess.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have only one problem with the boats you suggested and it's sure to raise some ire- they're ugly! I'm sorry to anyone this offends but sailing is many things to many people and I have to have a sexy boat. I'm not proud. That said, I'm sure there are some newer boats with classic good looks. I'm just not familiar with them- Morris 42s not withstanding. I'll sacrifice a knot for long overhangs and a springy sheer any day of the week. Maybe my tastes will change as I get to inspect and sail some of the newer boats but I'm cursed because the first boat I ever sailed was a Bermuda 40. -Brian
Old 03-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, large accommodations below decks isn't generally a feature on most of the boats with the long overhangs, which eat into interior space pretty seriously. The ones that have long overhangs and can comfortably sleep six are usually a bit out of your budget.

Also, I do generally recommend that anyone buying a boat... new or used... put aside about 15-20% of their purchasing budget for repairs, modifications, and upgrades that they will want to make to their boat. I have yet to see one boat bought where that wasn't the case.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-21-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hey Brian,

It does not offend me (new boats being ugly). Everyone has different opinions and that is what makes boating so diverse and fun - all the different boats.

An Islander is a non-performer... but good for a family. Fits your $$.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ck&searchtype=

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-21-2007

I should say that my kids are very young. When we make the purchase they will be 7,4,2,and <1. We're a very close family and like roughing it but I suspect the space will be nice as the kids get bigger.
Old 03-21-2007
Telstar 28

You could look at a Westerly Seahawk CC, which has two decent size cabins, one forward and one aft, and the salon as well. Someone else on this forum just got one and mentioned it.. and it might work out well for you. Westerlies have always been fairly pretty boats IMHO. They're a bit difficult to find on this side of the Atlantic, but you never know.

edit: found one in California.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-21-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Here ya go - beautiful, comfy and built like a tank..

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...02&searchtype=
Old 03-21-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...02&searchtype=