Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks guys... Unfortunately, the brokers I've dealt with thus far are no one I would wish on anyone I don't hate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
Yacht brokers generally only make money on the sale of a boat. Dealing with someone who's "coming down from Nova Scotia" is a really long shot as far as most brokers are concerned, even if you're looking for a nice (Hylas, etc.) boat. Brokers are first going to return calls from people who are closer, since the broker knows they will be able to drive down the next weekend to check out what the broker can show them. Such people are more likely to buy something that is near them, which the broker is more likely to get a commision on. Someone who's willing to fly in from Halifax or Toronto, or Chicago, or Miami, or Seattle or San Diego isn't as likely to be loyal to the listing broker or interested by other local listings he has, so the broker sees this as reducing the likelyhood of a sale.

Despite that, it surprises me that No one has returned your calls or emails. There hasn't been THAT much snow on the East Coast. For the kind of boat you seek, I would not hesitate to reccommend Prestige Yacht Sales, in Stamford CT. Talk to Mike Frank. He is well-connected and knows sales, as well as saiing. http://www.yachtworld.com/prestigeyachtsales/
Old 03-22-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Good Brokers,

Hello,

I can recommend two brokers I have dealt with.

Broker 1:
Tim Mariner - CPYB - Certified Professional Yacht Broker
Tim's love of sailing started in 1959 when he and his dad built his first sailboat in Atlanta, GA. After rebuilding a Blue Jay the same year, they sold both boats and bought their first Thistle. Tim won his first regatta in 1960 in Atlanta and he and his Dad continued racing Thistles across the country. His father and uncles were sailing instructors at Larchmont Yacht Club, and his Uncle Rush was captain of the Yale Sailing Team and later won a Gold Medal in the Olympic six meter class. Tim's interest in racing grew stronger and in 1970 he was asked to be genoa and spinnaker trimmer of ‘LA FORZA DEL DESTINO’, a Gary Mull 55 footer. Tim has been watch captain on a NY36, a Sequin 40 and a Luffe 44 and has logged thousands of miles sailing in a number of offshore races including numerous Stamford/Vineyard, Block Island, Stratford Shoal, Annapolis/Newport, Marblehead/Halifax , Newport/Bermuda and Sjaelland Rundt (Copenhagen, Denmark) races. Tim actively races his J/109, ‘JIA’, from Riverside Yacht Club, where he has been a member since the late 1980s.

Tim's email address is timm@mcmyacht.com

Broker 2:
Warren Traffton of Sailing Yachts Rhode Island
http://www.yachtworld.com/syri/index.html

Both a good guys, honest and trustworthy.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 03-23-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
for the first call to the selling agency, get a live body, hit one, 9, or keep mashing buttons till you hear someone say "hello". Tell that person you need two things, the name of the companies general counsel, and the sales manager.
throw out the name of the lawyer... the sales manager WILL want to know what you want.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CP-

That's always a good way to get attention, but may not work so well when you're trying to get their cooperation in buying a boat...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Kate and Bernie at Rogue Wave Yacht Sales in Annapolis if you are looking for people that know good boats. Great people.

http://roguewaveyachtsales.com/
Old 03-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The guy I bought my last boat from had Mike Heeg from here
http://www.niagarayachtsales.com/
as his broker. A knowledgeable, quiet guy who himself has done many years of offshore sailing, I got a very good, almost "anti-salesman" vibe from him in that he answered all questions (or got back to me when he didn't know the answer) and discussed the boat not in the context of a wine and cheese depot but in terms of what we wanted to do with it, i.e. go offshore.

This made a refreshing change from other brokers of my acquaintance, to say the least. George Ward of Ward Yachts is like that, but he's about 75 now, and is semi-retired. They might still handle some select sales, however: http://www.wardyachts.com/

The funny thing is that there's a number of deals in Nova Scotia (maybe not for your type of boat). I used Yachtworld to "view" a number of oceangoing motorsailers/sailermotors when I was in research mode. It doesn't help if you can't get calls returned. Have you thought of just looking in yards for "for sale" signs? Sometimes the damnedest boats are sold privately...and can be decent deals.
Old 03-23-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
well, it seems like the OP isn't getting their attention. What should he do, wave burning hundreds at the phone? Once he gets sales mgr on the line, he can express his waning interest in spending money at the sods facility due to lack of at least a call back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
CP-

That's always a good way to get attention, but may not work so well when you're trying to get their cooperation in buying a boat...

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 03-23-2007

h16Sailor is on a distinguished road
WillSail,
I hope you take constructive criticism well.

Unfortunately part of buying a boat is selling yourself to the broker / seller. Convince them you are truly interested and capable of buying ’cash talks, BS walks’.

After reading your original post, you sound upset. Upset people are generally irrational, emotional, and not thinking logical. I.e. The broker sees you as ‘Not a serious buyer’

Calm down, relax.
Your boat will appear, at your price, if you show you have patience. (Calmness, rational thought, logical clarity.) Now wait (practice patience) contact different brokers using a different approach. Write a script conversation down and read it to the ‘broker’ over the phone to their answering machine. Let your message be only positive, say nothing negative and someone will return your call with information concerning your boat at your price, in your desired condition with a center cockpit.

All things come to those who wait. Life is to short not to smile once in a while.
jody
Old 03-23-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Guys, it is time to stop slamming the sales guys. Lets see...Willsail is surprised that a buyers agent wants a cut? Duh...is he supposed to work for free because you are a nice guy?

It seems that all brokers are conniving crooks, except for the NE where they are a better sort?? What kind of crap is that? There are good and bad brokers, sales people, managers, sailors, whatever profession or avocation you want to choose. Find a good one and work with them. Find a bad one and stay clear. Don't just lump them all together.

I have worked with boat brokers, dealers, that I have bought more than one boat from. I have worked with one car salesman that I have bought 12 cars from, even when I did not live in his city! The guy is great and has a following that is amazing. He has been selling cars for over 40 years and loving it so he must be fairly good at what he does.

The good news is that Labatt and Charlie Cobra must have had some pretty good experiences. I understand Labatt's experience because those guys in the NE are a better sort.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.