Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I TAUGHT selling. No car dealership would ever allow THEIR salesmen to ignore a prospect the way WILL has been ignored. I experienced the same treatment when looking for a similar type & price boat. I find that the overwhelming majority of boat brokers are truly lazy and unmotivated which has nothing to do with being a crook. Only some are crooks!
When you find a broker that says he will do something and then axtually does it...treasure him as 9 out of 10 will not do the same.
Fortunately...that 1 in 10 is also the one who will know what they are talking about, work to make the deal happen and help make the necessary arrangements in a professional manner. Funny how that works.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2007

FritzN is on a distinguished road
My Recent Experience With Brokers

I've been talking to boat brokers at least weekly for over a year, and agree that, for some unexplained reason, there is either a delayed response or no response to e-mails originated on www.yachtworld.com and www.boats.com. Consequently, I now contact the brokers by telephone and leave a message. (The brokers' office numbers are usually noted in the online listing.) I find that when I leave a message that qualifies me as a serious buyer, I get a prompt reply. (I've been told by brokers that they get a lot of e-mails from dreamers, who will never buy and waste a lot of their time.) Brokers seem to want to talk to you before going to any effort to supply information that is not contained in the listing.

Right now the "under-50'-boat market" is soft, and most brokers are hungry. You really shouldn't have a problem getting a call-back, but I'd recommend using the phone. How well the brokers serve you is another question. Some are very good -- others, as Cam says, are lazy.

Fritz
Old 03-23-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Cam?
"I TAUGHT selling. No car dealership "
Now you've gone and done it, you've broken cover and told the whole world the biggest secret about car sales: That every major maker has spent billions on professional sales psychology and sales training, and that car salesmen are given additional training every year in how to make the rubes ante up and yes "YES, PLEASE, TAKE MY WALLET AND MY SPARE KIDNEY, I MUST HAVE YOUR CAR!"

Dangit, you know that information was eyes-only confidential and classified. How are they all going to make a living now that you've let the secret out?

(Yeah, got a few of those completion certificates myself, stored in the back of the BatCave where they can't be accidentally seen or found.)
Old 03-23-2007

Lionspride is on a distinguished road
You might want to try Bristol Yachts in Annapolis. Very knowledgeable an responsive. I bought a Bristol 39 that they had listed, and the broker, Trip Tripetelli was very good.
Old 03-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
HS...actually it was NOT training for car salesmen...I just used that as something everyne can relate to. But the larger point is that for any salesman...a customer is a treasure. To walk by any potential customer is the biggest mistake you can make. I get incensed by that type of treatment from guys on comission. Why not respond to that e-mail? Are there so many boat buyers out there that you can't afford the time to do a print out and pop it in the mail? If 9 out of 10 yachtworld inquiries are dead ends..how do you know which one is "ripe"? Answer all inquiries and you'll make more money. Beats flipping burgers!
Old 03-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

My point is that I would rather go to a broker that I didn't need to bludgeon in to helping me... I think that an actively participating broker is far more advantageous to me as a buyer.

Not all brokers are bad...but there are a few really rotten ones out there... what the real problem IMHO is are the apathetic ones that want the completed sale to fall in their lap... excuse me...but what the hell are they being paid to do then???

I don't mind paying a broker, either sellers or buyers, but I want them to at least have earned the money I am going to be paying them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2007

hughb is on a distinguished road
Broker

Try Rich Gehan at Deaton Yacht Sales in Oriental, NC. One plus here is that if you buy a boat in NC there's no sales tax.
Old 03-23-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I think Carma is right - a good salesperson treats every potential buyer with respect. Boats are different than cars just because you probably have a lot of people that just want to see the inside of a boat so they say they are interested. They might even think they are going to get a "test-sail" even though that's unlikely. So a broker, especially a good one who is in demand, has to sift through some undercapitalized dreamers and be able to help the true potential buyers.

I think solid sellers of solid boats, if they are knowledgeable, select solid brokers. For me, I don't think I would buy a boat if I didn't feel I could trust the seller or the broker.

It's like buying a horse that has the Hendra virus, or Colic. Some things are hidden, and it is the owner that is most likely to know the truth. A boat has a lot of things that you can miss even with a good survey. Electronics for example - If you ask the broker if the SSB or chartplotter works and he/she says YES, you want to be able to count on that. If they don't know, of course you have to find out. Most surveyors just turn the stuff on and report that it powers up.
Old 03-23-2007
moderate?

hugh...just to be clear. There is no NC sales tax but if you are bringing it in to another state with a sales tax...you have to pay their tax. NC gets theirs annually through property tax.
Old 03-23-2007

Willsail is on a distinguished road
Thank's for the input!

Thank's for all the replies.
Just to respond to a couple of points brought up by some of the respondents.

First, I do tend to get emotional about a few things in life. Boats, and women.
Maybe not in that order.
I think though for my emotions to have affected my contact with a broker to convince him/her of my intent or seriousness, there would have had to have been some communication other than the unanswered phone queries, email queries, and the 30 second call that I was told that I should call back.

Second, I've never had to pay an agent in my purchasing, any automobiles, aircraft, heavy equipment, other boats, or manufacturing equipment that I've purchased over the years, why should I need to now.
And at any time when an agent was involved it was during real estate, both commercial and residential acquisitions, and his/her fees were paid by the seller.
That's the brokers job, to represent the seller, and respond to, any or all inquires as to the listings he has, and earn his commision from them.
Some individuals may find it beneficial to hire an agent to act on their behalf, it's just not something I feel I need.

All I'm looking for is reasonable timetable in responding to my inquiries. I didn't receive any response's, and still haven't.

I rarely gripe about anything, especially anything to do with boats, but I've always found when buying a boat, the search is part of the enjoyment.
I won't give up, and I appreciate all of your comments.

I'll just dig harder and reward the broker that works for it with a commision!