Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Who likes Moodys?

So I am sitting here, broiling a Tri-tip, drinking a cocktail, looking at yachtworld for something to live on. Bad combo, right?!? Who likes the late 90's Moody 40 center cockpit? Maybe I should also ask, how do they sail? And how is the build quality?

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 03-25-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I like Moody's but with the Euro...they are way more expensive new here then they are worth IMHO...but a used one at a fair price would be worth considering. The 40CC is big inside and would be a great liveaboard and seaworthy, but not the prettiest profile afloat.
Old 03-25-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Thats ok Cam, I don't get to see the profile afloat.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-25-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Concur with Cam re the buckazoids required, they are expensive but have excellent (as in wowee zowee) build quality. If I were looking for a boat in the UK Moody and Oyster would be at the top of my list particularly of that 90s era.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-25-2007
Hitchin' a ride

The Catalina 400 and the Moody 40 are about the same price. Would you say that the 400 is overpriced too? Shh, I think we have a few hours before CD wakes up.

Vaya con Dios
Old 03-25-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
BF,
Catalinas are a bit newer when you compare the bucks with Moody. Cat faster, more your cruiser racer really but if I had to choose for a liveaboard no risk, I'd go Moody for sure.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-25-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Just so I can avoid CD's wrath that was not to knock the Catalina. Fine boat just that I'd prefer the Moody or the Oyster, even quite frankly over newer Swans.

Old 03-26-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
Catalinas may be "newer" if you compare the same bucks for a Moody, but in five years, the Moody will still look the same, while the Cat will look 8 (if not 10) years older. The CC Moody 40 I saw was a good looking boat. The cockpit was far enough aft to keep it from looking like a trawler, and the overall profile was low enough to be pretty. The after deck was big enough to be useful for handling dinghies, sunbathing, or fishing, without interfering with or messing up the cockpit. The lazarette was big enough to be useful too. If I remember correctly, below, there was a tri-cabin setup with a v-berth forward, a upper & lower berths next to port in their own cabin, with a head opposite. The roomy main salon had comfortable banquettes and swivel chairs, with the galley to port of the companionway ladder. To starboard was the nav station and the passage aft to the master suite, alongside the engine compartment. In the passage aft to the Master suite there was another single berth. The Master suite had good headroom and another head, to port (opposite the passage on the stbd side.) Nice joinery and ample stowage as well. The one drawback (if it is one in your mind) was the mast being deck-stepped. Since the boat had made it transatlantic before I saw it, however, this didn't seem to be too much of an issue. Don't know how they sail, but do the PHRF ratings seem normal for a cruiser?
Old 03-26-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Paul,
Quite frankly I don't any problems with a deck stepped mast. I've owned two boats with DSM and no complaints from me. Moody's are more of a fast cruiser than some of the obvious competition but they don't make a lot of compromises in order to achieve a good race rating.

Old 03-26-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Very good boats the Moody...several here..

Also, a member here at sailnet,( Neslsonsmoody), has one, check his photos on the member's gallery.

I can't judge between the Catalina and Moody, but they are very well regarded boats.