Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Baltic/Swan type companionways

I have a little experience with Baltic/Swan type companionways. I felt very exposed up there. In the case I ma thinking of the boat had a very tall steep ladder and so you had to turn around to go below and that really exposed you to the just above shoulder height boom. I guess if the boom were higher and the companionway easier to enter, it would have been less of a problem. It also makes a dodger a little more difficult to get under.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Jeff - if you were getting a boat that was very good in every other aspect of what you were looking for, would that type of a companionway be a deal killer, in your opinion? Or an acceptable compromise?

When I boarded, I initially liked having the cabin less exposed and little trouble getting below. he design does make the aft cabin larger and allows for a separate nav sta, which I like. When I came up however, I found myself standing on the coachroof, a bit exposed to the boom. If I were more aware of it or more conscious to come up another way, I think I would have avoided that.

Thanks

John
Old 01-18-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I think this is obviously a subjective question (because Swan and Baltic have sold a lot of them). I know that a friend walked away from a the N/M designed Morgan 45 because of the wide bridge deck. On some level, I think that they are harder to get in and out of in a seaway and in a hurry. They are harder to get in and out of when a dodger is rigged.

But I am not sure that it would be a deal killer. I think it is less condusive to single-handing where you need to be able to take a frequent quick look.

I looked at boat owned by an aquantance that was an old Little Harbor race boat and that had a set up like we are discussing. In his case it seemed quitely set up although perhaps less appealing than a more conventional set up.

Are we talking about the Wauquiez here?
Regards
Jeff
Old 01-18-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Jeff - yes, the Wauquiez Hood 38. I would probably not have a dodger and may or may not use the spray hood.