Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007

NewburyportWags is on a distinguished road
Recommend Surveyors on Massachusetts' North Shore

I have searched the forums looking for any posts that recommend surveyors on the North Shore of MA, but have not found any. I am looking for a surveyor to do a pre-purchase on a Catalina 27 that I am interested in buying. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2007

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
hey mark ! my name is mike live in nbpt on the island. i used Tom Ferguson for my pre-purchase and change in insurance cos. you can reach him @603-669-0734/ cell 978-828-8889 very pleased with his work and rates are reasonable. he will/would prefer you are there during survey to discuss things if they arise, ect. also sends hard copies and disc after survey so every thing is spelled out. he will ask you your exp. with boats to get a feel of how to tell you of/if there are issues ect. if you want to contact me let me know
Old 03-26-2007

Thanks Mike, I will get in touch with him. The boat is down in Salem so I have left messages with a few surveyors down that way. I have spoken to a gentleman named George Gallup who is out of Lynn. He seemed very knowledgable and seemed to know this particular model very well (although I have heard the Catalina 27 called the "Toyota Camry of Sailing" since there were so many made and sold, so its probably hard to be a surveyor and not know it).

I hope to run into you out on the harbor. If the survey goes well, I will be on a C27 named "Life Is Good", although I may change her name to a derivative of my wifes name since shes been great about the boat thing. Call out if you see me.

-Mark
Old 04-02-2007

Had my survey done yesterday, performed by George Gallup (Gallup Yacht Surveying, Lynn, MA). I was incredibly impressed with George's work. He was very thorough and explained his findings in details. He spent over 6 hours on a Catalina 27 that really did not have alot of complex systems. The survey was as much of a learning experience as it was an inspection of the boat. Although this was my first experience with a marine survey, and I really don't have anything to compare this process to, I would HIGHLY recommend George.
Old 04-02-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
I grew up in Nport.....my mom still lives there. I was going to keep my boat there this summer at Merri-mar yacht basin, but it looks like i will still be down on Buzzards Bay. I will probably be sailing up a few times this summer though. Would any of you be interested in meeting up and cruising together out of Nport. I live in Amherst now and am always looking for people to sail with, since there aren't many out here . My friend owns a painting company in Nport and i will be working with him a few days a week. Also....do you know of any moorings available this summer....i had one secured but screwed up and missed my chance? I can't get pm's here but my e-mail is hplservices@yahoo.com........Preston

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.