Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Question S2 9.2A OR Tartan 30

I am looking at purchasing either a S2 9.2A 1976- 1981 or a Tartan 30 1979 any input on which boat my be better I like the S2 because of the room and Yanmar Engine Like the Tartan because of it's reputation and design (mid mounted engine etc..) over the years but am concerned about the atomic 4 and lack of electric auto Bilge. The boat will be sailed exclusively on Lake Michigan, but you never know where we might end up . Any Input would be great. BTW my other boat is a 73 Columbia 26 MK11 currently on Ebay.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A properly maintained Atomic 4 isn't really a problem. There is a reason that so many of them were installed and that so many of them are still around. If you were to need to motor more, then a diesel would make more sense, as they are considerably more fuel efficient... but for sailing on Lake Michigan, I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor... Get the boat that sails the way you like to sail...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
1) Don't worry about the Atomic 4. It hardly ever maims anyone.
2) They are roughly equivalent boats, but I would pick the Tartan for cruising, not to mention that both the A4 and the Tartan 30 have very large and enthusiastic online community support. Lake Michigan can get squirrelly at certain spots and times of the year, and you will like that engine access. See if the Atomic 4 has been rebuilt and whether it has raw-water cooling or FWC: it makes a difference to the longevity of the exhaust elements. On the other hand, if I was weekending or daysailing, the S2 is fine and might seem "larger" inside.

I think you've got a couple of "good old boats" from which to choose. They are nearly 30, though, so a full survey will inevitably reveal either deal-killers or "bargaining chips", depending on your tolerance for boat repair/upgrading to current safety and equipment standards.
Old 03-27-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Thanks I know the A4 was maintained annually the Tartan 30 I am considering was bought from the show room floor I am told in 1979 and the original Owner is selling it. It is in pristine condition from what I have seen.
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Zaldog-

Still...even if you know that the boat is in pristine condition... get a full survey. The rigging is almost 30 years old... as is the hull. If they forgot to pot a single screw in the deck, for a fitting, then you could still have some serious problems, in spite of all the love and attention the boat got.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-27-2007
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Go with the Tartan just because

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
Go with the Tartan just because
Hmm... someone might be a bit biased... LOL Just maybe... a little bit.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-27-2007

paulk is on a distinguished road
I'd go with the one that suits you best. There are a lot of both boats out there. The Tartan, because of it's older design, (1960's?) might be a bit narrower and cramped for cruising compared to the S2. The S2 might be more expensive to buy, since it has the diesel. S2's have a reputation for decent construction quality and reasonable performance (PHRF +/- 180 for the 9.2A). The Tartan 30's rating shows it as slightly faster, (PHRF +/- 174). The easy engine access is a good thing, but on the downside, you may NEED easy access to the engine, often. Diesels are nice because they keep running too, and have less to go wrong with them. If you can find a copy of Practical Sailor's Used Boat Buyer's Guide, it would help steer you in the right direction on these two boats. Smooth seas!
Old 03-27-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I would strongly suggest that you go with the Tartan 30. The Tartan 30 is a far superior boat in terms of build quality and sailing ability. The Tartan 30 is one of my favorite boats in this size and general price range. Frankly the S-2 9.2's were pretty poorly constructed and equipped, and a very mediocre design. IT was the later S-2's that enjoyed the better reputation when it came to both build quality and sailing abilities.

I would not be all that concerned about buying a boat with an Atomic 4, if it is well maintained. If you decide that don't want a gas engine, as Paul noted there are a lot of either model out there and so you should be able to find a Tartan 30 with a diesel since many of the earlier Tartan 30's have been converted to diesels and most of the later Tartan 30's came with diesels.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Don't the S2s have that ugly carpet stuff on the interior fiberglass? Same as the Cherubinis? Why in the world would you put that stuff in your boat? It reeks of a bad idea, and it literally reeks too. I vote Tartan.

Vaya con Dios