Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy
Just troll ebay. There are LOTS of huricane damaged boats advertised there. Personally, I would not consider a salvaged boat, or anything (winches, electronics, galley equipment, etc.) taken off one, unless it was designed to be submerged (ground tackle, fenders...)

Ed
Theres no question that I would not want to buy a salvaged hull/boat, but rather the gear. Like a junk yard for cars...boats. The customer removes the part themselves. I would be very leary of buying salvaged gear off an ebay site, I would want to inspect it myself...before I pay for it.

There must be tons of usable gear out there from the hundreds of boats that were unfortunately lost. Of Course any electronics/electrical, cushions, etc...NOT...BUT

Winches
Stanchions
Dorades
Pulpits
Anchors/rode (chain)
Spars
Turnbuckles
Heads
Winch handles
even teak...to name a few

Even if submerged for a few days I would imagine these type of items could easily be restored, maybe better than some of the stuff on my 25 year old boat

Is it simply because its not worth the $$ to do this...what about the enviroment...where do all these boats end up...buried in some landfill or sunk off shore?

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"the gear". Yup.

Not from the insurance companies, they need to dispose of the whole 40,000 pounds of "toxic waste" at once. The breakers then have deals to strip and wholesale the rest off to places like Sailorman, they sell to the secondhand businesses--because again, they don't want to deal with individual consumers.

Like junk yards in most states, they can't afford the insurance bills for customers wandering around their yards with tools, so they strip 'em down and then dispose of the rest "to the trade".

Not to say you can't buy stripped goods directly--but good luck finding anyone who will deal with you.
Old 03-30-2007

richard_reinhart is on a distinguished road
Salvage laws

Salvage law is NOT a matter of "finders/keepers" or "let's go shopping at no cost for anything we find on the beach". Many folks have an incorrect view of salvage law and think any vessel without an owner on board is fair game if it appears to be abandoned. Not so.

In general, salvage in the U.S. is a governed by the admiralty laws of the federal courts, and provides compensation to professionals or other mariners who provide assistance to a vessel in peril, thereby saving the vessel or her contents from loss. A key element of salvage is the requirement that the property be restored to the owner.

There isn't a fixed schedule of payments, although most salvage claims are worked out by agreement after the fact. If not, then the salvor is entitled to file suit in federal court and have a judge fix the amount of compensation he is entitled to, normally a percentage of the value of what was rescued, with consideration to factors such as how imminent the peril was, whether the salvor risked his own life or vessel in making the salvage, how dire the conditions were, etc. The law usually tends to make an "ample" award in suitable cases.

There is no more right to go aboard a vessel that has foundered and to lay claim to the vessel or its contents than there is to "salvage" a Porsche parked on the side of the road while its owner gets a flat tire repaired or a can of gasoline to continue his trip. In the old days such conduct along the shore was known as piracy, and today it is simply theft. I'm not sure why so many folks think the rules differ on the road and on the sea, but in this instance they are wrong. If you do lay claim to such a vessel, you are obligated to make good efforts to find the owner (how hard can it be in an era of State registration or US documentation?) and your claim then must be taken up with him based on the benefit you conferred by your labor.

Here's a nice little article for those of you interested in more details about salvage law: Safe/Sea Online
Old 03-30-2007

Insails is on a distinguished road
After Ivan and Katrina,salvaged boats ended up in peoples yard as they bid on them thinking profit hoping someone would buy them..There is an ad in this weeks paper here advertising salvage boats ,catalinas,hunters,etc,etc 1000 and up...thing is if you call the local catalina dealer a mast for a catalina 25 is close to 5k...so who wants to put 5k into a 20 year old boat with strucural damage also? No deals at all in salvage boats and the only winner is the one who finds the sucker to buy one..They prey on 1st time buyers seeing a deal not knowing the cost of repair and parts...
Old 04-02-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I asked my surveyor about this last month, as Edmonds Marina had a really bad storm in '97 ( I think) that wiped pretty much the whole ( poorly designed ) old marina out. Good news on the marina is they redesigned it a little overbuilt. Anyway he said that he basically lived down there that year since he mostly does insurance surverys and an aweful lot of the boats got totalled. His take on it was that the only boats he saw that actually got back in the water were bought and refurbished by boatyards at a mild loss as a way of keeping their yard workers busy during off season.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.