Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
SD. I agree, the smaller boats are out probably more, easier to prepare, untie and go. I'm out more than most, sometimes single handing, and yes it is a lot of work to get a liveaboard ready for sea, can't count how many plates and cups I've broke due to not being secured properly( HMnnn, can I write that off?) There's boats here in my harbor, and I'm sure in all harbors that never go out. Week end marina cottages, but that's the point of all this.

The cost of ownership is a factor of use, and satisfaction of ownership. If someone is satisfied with paying 6K a year and always sit at the dock, OK for them, maybe not the seaman we would be, but that's what they want. I don't think we more salty types should look down on them or make fun of them, although, they are pitiful and funny. S'matter of fact, they look up to guys like me and you and we become their heros
Old 03-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ian-

The returns on the invested time and money on my boat include these:
http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...le=1570&size=1
http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...le=1569&size=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2007
A little less cheek

Don't you ever go to sleep? I thought I could sneak that one by you.
Old 03-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not much... I generally sleep about 3-4 hours a day... was off-line for a while today, since I was down at the marina working on my boat. Mounted an outboard motor mount for the dinghy, put the new dinghy and it's motor on board, started to install a second Nicro Solar powered vent, and installed some new sheet bags that I got on clearance at my local WM earlier in the week.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-31-2007
A little less cheek

Other benefits:

moon rising over the bow
Old 03-31-2007
Telstar 28

That's definitely a credit to sailing...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-01-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhlnd
Other benefits:

moon rising over the bow
Two Words.

DAaaY-uuuUUUM!
Old 04-01-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
I'm currently working on the 'buy the smallest boat that will meet your immediate needs' plan. I would recommend figuring out your yearly budget first, then finding a boat that will fit inside it. The purchase price is a factor, but should probably be your secondary factor, the primary one being the estimated yearly TCO.
Old 04-02-2007

drynoc is on a distinguished road
keep it simple

My first boat is a 35' race boat built in 1980, and I paid $18500 for it. It was a fixer upper, but that worked out well because I learned a lot in a short period of time. Because it is a race boat, it is very simple down below, and this is also good because it minimizes expenses and work. You don't need all that stuff until you figure out if you are going to be doing that kind of sailing. It also has a complicated rig, and that is good because I am learning a lot about the intricacies of sailing. For these reasons, and another I'll come to in a minute, expenses are minimal, by boating standards: $2200 per year slip fees (military base),$425 per year insurance, and $50 per month in supplies. I'll haul this winter, and that will be a fee, plus a bottom painting.

The other reason expenses stay down: I am happy with the basic boat, and my sailing is limited. If having all modern stuff is important to you, then great, but that will be your fault when the expenses mount. I have ten winches, none of them self tailing, but they all work great. Why replace them? I don't have a chart plotter, radar, depth sounder, AC, refrigeration, showers, or hot running water. Don't need any of it, and I'm perfectly comfortable navigating all over the Potomac and the Chesapeake without any of it.

I'm not denigrating all the niceties of boat owning, merely pointing out that if expenses are a major concern, there are ways to minimize them. A lot of the stuff that gets bought for boats is nice, but not necessary, to have.
Old 04-02-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Mike,

Lotsa good advice above.

A general rule which works out pretty close is 10% to 15% of the boat's VALUE, not cost, per annum.

Costs may vary widely, depending on a number of factors including location, your own skills, knowledge, resourcefulness, and time availability. However, one of the most critical cost factors is how well you maintain your boat.

It's possible, of course, to spend most of your annual budget on slip fees, and in some high-rent areas this can be a huge expense. Nonetheless, if you don't spend much money beyond this you're just kidding yourself, and you WILL pay for it later on.

So, I'd say 7-10% of the boat's value just to get by. But to maintain a boat in very good condition, you're gonna spend more like 15-20% of her value per annum. Some years will be a lot less. But some years will be more and, if you keep the boat long enough, you're gonna run into a year where costs will be a lot more. That is, if you care about your boat and wanna maintain her in top condition.

JMHO,

Bill
S/V Born Free