Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
Elan

Beneteau is now producing one boat every 8 hours in the US manufacturing plant .. or close to that anyway. The interiors are Pre-Fab, built to a liner adhered to the hull. Yes they are popular. If I spent what they do in mantaing market share I might be let's say Coke or Pepsi. So much of this "Good Boat VS Better Boat" is based on marketing, media presence and market leverage. It is ashame as there are quite a few smaller companies and at least a coulpe larger ones too that make fantastic hulls that just do not have the US marketing/advertising budget to compete effectively.

The Elan is a "finer" boat than Beneteau. Beneteu again... Popular Boat, nicely designed, well built for what it is. very production... You will be happy with either one. I wouldn't want to see you purchase a Beneteau because it is a Beneteau. What is your "gut" feeling...? Which one do you see your self experiencing a great life on the water with before you start thinking about it too much? ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2007

sailingguy123 is on a distinguished road
T37Chef, why do you say keep searching? I notice that you are a tartan owner, which is above my price range of around $175,000 so please keep this in mind when you make your comments everyone.
Old 03-30-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingguy123
T37Chef, why do you say keep searching? I notice that you are a tartan owner, which is above my price range of around $175,000 so please keep this in mind when you make your comments everyone.
Sailinguy...just messing with ya, maybe should have added more than the ?

Why "NEW"? You could get a sweet used boat for alot less than $175,000!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-03-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
And be leery of the reviews in the big glossy sailing mags. They won't write anything negative for fear of losing advertising dollars. I bet in that same issue where Cruising World had the review, Elan had a big ad.

I think for any of the Euro imports, especially the newer ones trying to establish a market, factory support is going to be an issue, so the reputation of the dealer becomes important. I haven't ventured onto any Elans at the boat shows because the boats don't interest me, but as others have pointed out, there's lots of competition for your boating dollars. (And yes, I recommend buying used as well!)

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 03-30-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If you're going to spend 175K I would suggest you find a hull and deck that you like for about 50K and spend the other 125k on a complete refit. You'll end up with a better boat, that includes exactly what you want.
Old 03-30-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Red face Major Correction

Wombat Whoops. I've just checked and while I still don't have a list of the faults the boat concerned was NOT AN ELAN it was a Hanse. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Culpa.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
Wombat Whoops. I've just checked and while I still don't have a list of the faults the boat concerned was NOT AN ELAN it was a Hanse. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Culpa.
same crap....ooops....
Old 03-30-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
I do not have much experience with the NEW Elan Impression line (except few visits at the boat shows), But I do have experience with older charter boats from Elan, Beneteau, Jeanneau and Bavaria (and few others in this price range).
Forget about Bavaria if you like yourself even if it is much cheaper (undersized everything, and poor quality).
The other three all make some more sense. From my experience older Elan is better build, but hey, I am from Slovenia where they build them so what else could I think.
A 5 year charter boat shows the quality of build quite well. - My oldest was an Elan 45 almost 15 years in charter - and it was one of the best boats I ever chartered.
That was the older "performance oriented" line. I hope they kept the quality.
While the Impression may not win the race against their performance line, you have more space inside and easier handling. Also more form stability. Their performance line is designed for fast sailing while Impression for easy life on board (they moved the traveller on cabin top for example, made a hull fatter, fridge larger, berths wider ...). The boat have class A (unlimited ocean) certificate, but is more optimised for coastal cruising.
Old 03-30-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
same crap....ooops....
Me or the boat ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-31-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Oh, I forgot to add some things:
Since you mention "Impression" line you most likely compare it with "Oceanis" line of Beneteau and not their "First" line. Their "Cyclades" line is lower cost and almost comparable to Bavaria.
I did charter Oceanis 393 and I own Oceanis 423, so I know the feel inside and in the cockpit. Elan Impression 384 compares to the Oceanis 423 and not 39 space wise. The full body and wide stern (and perhaps smaller lazarette) gives you the feel of a much larger boat.
Another difference is motoring in reverse: Beneteau have classic shaft drive and quite a strong prop. walk, while elan uses saildrive with prop. very close to the keel and almost no prop. walk. If prop walk is good or bad think is another discussion (I hated it until I learned to take advantage of it).
And why I say good things about Elan and own Beneteau: Very simple. At that time I could not afford Elan, because I had to make make my boat earn some money to pay for herself and I could only make that with Beneteau.
One more thought: How may Beneteau you see out there and ow many Elan? Do you want to be bland in the mass or do you want to be "special".