Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007

sailingguy123 is on a distinguished road
Today I went on a friend's boat and realized that traditional mainsail is not so bad...so I think I will get the Grand Soleil 37. I have until Tuesday to make a decision. Thanks for all your help Giulietta
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2007

h20ski is on a distinguished road
you're all wrong. The Elan is a great boat. We have sailed on several and no problems. A friend owns one. Great boat for the money- fantastic quality. Far superior to the stuff Beneteau & Jenneau now put out. The Elan is designed by the same guy that designs the multi-million dollar Oysters. (that alone should tell you something). Also, just compare tankage on the Elans to the Beneteaus; what good are those tiny tanks going to do you on the Benetaus?/ Elan gives you real tankage for real sailors. Don't listen to all the self proclaimed "experts"- go find a boat and owner and see for yourself. Elans are top notch!!
Old 05-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
hmmm. H20Ski seems to be pimping Elan boats for some reason... Not quite sure why, but he is....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-10-2007

first hand knowledge- unlike some other people.
Old 05-11-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
In few hours i will get Elan Impression 434 for a week. I will be skipper for some friends and in 7 days I can tell my first impressions (or should i say Impressions).
Then I can compare with my Beneteau Oceanis 423.
So far I mainly sailed the old Elan performance line - all of them sailed very well (I sailed on 33, 333, 36, 37, 43)
Of course there are better boats on the market - X for example make nice fast boats - but that is another price range.
Old 05-25-2007

Elan report?

Tomaz,
What is your report after your experience on the Elan 434??
Old 05-30-2007

Tomaz- how was the Elan?

Tomaz, you have probably returned by now- please tell us your experience on the Elan 434.
Old 06-03-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
OK. I am back from sailing now. I was a skipper on Elan Impression 434 (week May 12 to 19) and than on a Beneteau Oceanis 423 (week May 26 to June 2). I sailed both boats in same sailing area and also with similar sailing conditions, so can really compare them.
1) Elan: We had a four cabin version, but still: It is a big boat inside. Much bigger than an Oceanis 423. The floor is raised a bit in the saloon, so the bilge is deep enough to accommodate most tanks and have large storage areas below floorboards.
The construction and the structure of the inner hull looks much bigger than on an Oceanis, but I did not measure the thickness of those structures.
I also like the lighter color of the woods.
Sailing: Elan points better and is a faster boat in climbing against the wind, but was a very slow boat going downwind. Both boats have relatively flat bottom, so in big waves both slam hard when they climb a wave and jump on another wave from above. The movement seamed a bit softer on an Oceanis. Elan was faster on most point of sail (except downwind) and also faster under motor. But: Elan I had was brand new - so smooth, and the Bene was 2 years old and had some creatures living on the outside. Sails were classic in both boats and I had no spi.
Now the finish: I notices a few flops on the Elan. We had a brand new boat registered in May, delivered to location in Croatia and we were the first clients:
1) Handle on the cabin top was not tight on one side and was moving a little - jut needed the screws to be tightened.
2) There was some water entering the cabin - the support rod for standing rigging going through cabin top had a seal dislocated on one side (also easy fix).
3) Inner panels covering the celling (decorative) are not screwed or glued, but attached with some sort of Velcro tape and some did not hold well after a heavy beating for 5 hours in 30 knots of wind and short waves. after a firm press they were OK and did hold good.
I am not sure it this is normal for a new boat, but those little defects are hard to notice before the boat is in use.
Both boats took heavy winds (for Adriatic) of 30 to 35 knots (gusts to 40) very well and were very dry boats. Elan was faster, (but Beneteau had optional shallow draft) we could easy sail at 7 knots average (SOG on GPS) for hours. Also the engine noise was lower on the Elan - I had to look at the instruments to determine if the motor was running or not.
I would compare the 434 more with Oceanis 473 than 423 in many ways.
So, this Elan is a nice, fast boat, easy to handle, dry and very comfortable on flat water. I liked it.
Old 06-03-2007

Thank you for confirming what we have heard from many people- the Elan is a great boat and you have confirmed that with first hand knowledge.