Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have put $10K into a boat I spent $23K on eight years ago so I would feel comfortable about the engine and fuel systems and about the structural aspects of the boat. My time and swearing are equally expensive....

Today, the boat is worth $20K, but I know personally it's better than factory. But I never got around to the cushions, which are horrible '70s brown tartans...eugh... Nonetheless, it sails amazingly well and will give many more years of service. This is worth a lot to me, but is largely intangible and cannot be expected to be much of a factor in any potential buyer's situation. It's like having the finest Opti in the world: no matter whether you varnished it in beetle secretions from Java, it's still an eight foot pram and you'll never get more than a grand for it.

So you can nod and ooh and aah to the seller about all that investment, but aside from say, the Awlgrip, it means next to nothing to what you should be paying for an old boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Zaldog - Anything that can be taken off the boat and sold separately has the value (to the owner) obtainable at a boat jumble sale or e-Bay, and a bit less to account for the trouble of doing it .
So you could ask the owner for his new price, after he takes his old junk off the boat. Then you'll know how much he thinks the stuff is worth. If the answer is along the lines of "its all included in the price", then the junk is worthless (and he has already taken everything of value to him). Plus, you have to assume that you will need to replace those items that you feel are essential, fairly soon, so keep some money back for them.
I think a boat's intrinsic value is in the hull, the deck, the engine and the sails and rigging - if properly maintained, so make sure the surveyor has good words to say about those.
When you have your new boat, you will want to lavish a lot of money on her, and you get new toys to play with - much more fun than his old junk.
Old 03-31-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all of you for the excellent insight, my eyes are wide open now and I have a lot of good questions to ask the broker...I will keep you all posted.

On the low engine hours, how can this be bad for the engine? potentional corrosion of the rings and heads? Just curious as I have never owned a boat with a diesel. And I know I would put at least 2 hours a week on this engine during the season here in Chicago.
Old 03-31-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
"problems" concerning low hours...(sometimes these aren't big problems, take all of this with a grain of salt)

When an engine is not operated regularly, or has "long" periods of non-operation, condensation can work its rusty magic in cylinders that are stopped with valve open. On a 4 cyl. engine gas or diesel, this could happen in a maximum of 2 cylinders at a time, or a minimum of no cylinders. I haven't worked out the probabilities but given the action of the valves in relationship with engine rotation at least one valve (intake or exahust) will be open at any given time.

as stated above,
(gas)
belts/hoses/filters/ plugs, points, coils

(diesel)
glowplugs/injectors filters/belts hoses
are subject to wear/replacement.

Look, this is all relative. You may go with a 600 hour engine in a 20 yr old boat and have no worries for another 10 years. Or you may go with a 3000 hour engine in a 20 yr old boat and still have no worries.
Or, the 600 hour engine may give up the ghost in 10 hours, same with the 3000 hour engine.

Get an oil sample kit and get it tested this will help you a bunch.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs