Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
I have a confession....

I bought a boat.

You may recall some posts I've made, where I talked about what I wanted, requirements, etc. Things like full or modified keel, 30' or more, diesel engine, wheel steering.... I was looking at boats like the Albergs, Cape Dories, Albin Vegas, and lusting after a Valiant.

I bought a Columbia 26K. (That's the confession part.)

She was priced low. She's in decent shape, though needing work. She's something on which I can sail around, have fun, learn maintenance, and overnight. She is, though, almost the complete antithesis of what I said I wanted. One of the folks on here theorized I was overanalyzing the whole boat buying process. Probably true. If I waited for my perfect boat, I figure I'd be waiting another couple of years. This way, I'll get out on the water and have fun!

So, in part, I feel silly for not doing what I said I would. And in part I feel really excited 'cause I got my first boat!

I'm planning to sail out of Tidewater Marina in Havre de Grace, MD. Right now the boat is in Middle River, and I'll be moving her North towards the end of April. I plan to extensively blog my mainenance, sailing, and modification adventures. Is it ok to post links here? The blog will be at Ship's Blog

If any of you are in the Havre de Grace neighborhood, and want to drop in to say hi, just get in touch and you're always welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congratulations Phil... Keep us posted.. and hopefully, we'll see you out on the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Congrats...

Our first sailboat was a Buccaneer 20...LOL, so your closer to that Valiant than you think

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-01-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Nothing to confess Phil. You bought what worked for you, and now, you'll have that much more experience when you decide to move up, if you do. Enjoy it, learn from it, and just be glad you're sailing instead of dreaming about it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-01-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Buy an old boat learn maintenance, I love it ! More truth has never been spoken. How far north are you moving ? I just got a new slip ( read free slip ) on the Maurice river near the Delaware bay.
Old 04-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Phil-

One thing you may notice down at your marina... the smaller sailboats tend to go out a lot more often than the larger ones. I know that's true down at my marina... and I go out on days that terrify the guys in the 36' power boats... But they hate the wind, and I love it...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
heh, I did something similar, took the advice of an old sailing buddy and just got something small (Kent Ranger R-24') and cheap (1975) to knock around the sound with. He said, "Don't put too much money into it, your first boat is for learning, two years from now you'll be listening to someone tell you what's wrong with it and offering you half what you are asking, while you are just anxious to move on to the boat you've figured out you really want."

Last edited by tenuki; 04-01-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Congats Phil. I have a 1973 Columbia 26 MK II (which I just sold) great first boat. We sailed at least 3 days a week out of Monroe harbor here in Chicago last season. You will like the boat a lot, very easy to sail good comfort very dry. Will not motor very well but hey your a sailor. Columbias where over built when fiberglass was cheap so she will take a beating and keep on sailing. We have pretty good wind here typical 10 -20 with 2 - 6 waves handles like a dream I very rarely reefed my main just put on the working jib and away she went. If you have any question's about the boat drop me a line. There is also a great owners site with a manual on line for the C26. Columbia 26 Mk2 Owners Manual
Old 04-02-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
what did you get to replace it zaldog?
Old 04-02-2007

Guesser is on a distinguished road
Sweet, I'm on my fourth Good Old Boat; To me, re-conditioning an old boat is as much fun as sailing. My last boat went through such a transition I renamed it Second Wind. I saw the picture you posted, she looks to be in pretty good condition.

Be sure to check out eBay, (Boat Parts > Sailing Hardware and Gear) you can find lots of good deals.