SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   31ft Seafarer (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/31018-31ft-seafarer.html)

CliffL 04-02-2007 01:18 PM

31ft Seafarer

Anyone know anyting about Seafarer 31?

31ft seafarer ocean going sail boat cheap 7500 obo

The year wasn't given (I'm going to call), but if it passes a survey, it seems like a great price.

Thoughts?

Cliff

canadianseamonkey 04-02-2007 01:30 PM

Sounds like a scam, but you never know. You have to be careful with stuff being sold on those type of web sites. Give him a call. Ask him if he'll pay the shipping, if he says yes....run away! Let us know.

Guesser 04-02-2007 01:39 PM

It does sound like a scam...but if it's not, buy it.

Guesser 04-02-2007 01:46 PM

FYI: The same craig's ad is posted in DC, Baltimore and Norfolk and has been for 3 or 4 days; so it is probably legit. I'd check it out. A 31' boat in good condition for $7500 is a steal.

sailingdog 04-02-2007 02:02 PM

Actually, craigslist is a pretty good way to buy and sell stuff. If you're near enough that you can go see the boat and get him to agree to sell it to you, conditional on a survey... go for it.

Jeff_H 04-02-2007 02:27 PM

As I recall, Seafarer built two different 31 footers, one in the 1960's and one in the 70's -80's. The 1960's era boat was a pretty nice Tripp design with a centerboard built for Seafarer in Holland. The later boat boat was a McCurdy Rhodes design and a boat that I never especially liked from a build quality or design standpoint. If the boat is in decent shape then the price isn't too bad, but if neglected then the price could too high. If you think about a 25 year old or older boat, it could easily require new sails, engine, standing and running rigging, some new deck hardware, galley equipment, and aesthetic items like upholstery.

Pretty quickly the boat has a negative value and so someone simply wants to unload it to reduce carrying costs. When you consider the mediocre build quality of the later boats, this does not sound like such a good deal.

Jeff

CliffL 04-02-2007 04:11 PM

Thanks all. Just talked to the owner. A younger guy who wants to get rid of his Grandad's sialboat to buy a power fishing boat.
Here's more gauge:
Built in 1971, 2 x dead 12 Volt batteries, Last Survey in '96, never sunk, no fires, '97 sails and rigging, No balsa core, no blisters, no soft spots, Atomic 4 30 HP gas engine with 500 hours...last overhauled in '95, Kerosene stove. Suposedly pristine interior. I'm in the area so am going to take a look at it on Sat.
Sounds like a project.

Cliff

sailingdog 04-02-2007 04:25 PM

Cliff-

When was the boat's engine last run? Also, was it winterized and fogged before it was laid up? If not, the engine could be a giant block of rust on the inside... ...

buzzhornet 04-21-2007 08:09 AM

I have the Tripp 31 Yawl built in 73 and its certainly a project boat. She sails nicely and there seems to be plenty of fiberglass in the hull. I'm in the process of redoing the interior, but if this one already has been done, you're way ahead. Sounds like a winner at that price to me, I paid 10k

Buzz

buzzhornet 04-21-2007 08:22 AM

Teak and Holly sole installation on Seafarer Yachts

Does anyone know a good method for attaching a 1/4 inch teak and holly pattern to the lining in the cabin sole? I am considering screwing the corners down, which requires drilling a hole in the sole and I am a bit concerned about hitting vital things, like the hull!
Seafarer 31 yawl, 1973 if you have any ideas..

Buzz