SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2nd Boat I am considering with pics Catalina 27

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Jotun 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Here we are again. I really wanted to thank all of you for your input on my posts as you guys are very helpful. This boat that I looked at a 79 Catalina 27 had a diesel original engine. it seemed good the bilge was dry though one stanchion was moving which would have to be fixed. There was also a small area abotu 3 inches sq on the deck that when hit with a screw driver had a dull thud. There are also three stress cracks on the hull where on the bow front which I snapped a picture of. Otherwise things seemed solid. The sails are all original it has a roller furling. I don't know what I should offer though for the boat. What is a fair price? Would love to hear your thoughts/suggestions. The pics are below:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AauWbZs2bNWLmQ

#2 ·
CD... a Catalina question for ya... :D

Given that the boat is almost 30 years old, it sounds like it is in pretty good shape over all. The stanchion probably has worked loose, and you'll need to fix the deck under it, as it may have started to rot out due to water getting in via the stanchion mounting holes. Where was the area with the dulll thud? I didn't really see any stress cracks in the photos you posted...but the photo quality was fairly abysmal IMHO... the sails are probably due for replacement, as is the standing rigging, given its age.

Although there are a few worrying things—the loose stanchion, the dull thud area on the deck, the cracks near the bow... this seems like it is in better condition than the Cal 30-2 you had posted earlier.

#4 ·
saura,

I am not sure what to offer. Pull them up on yachtworld or talk to a broker that would know those old boats. You might even talk to a Catalina dealer in your area that can point you in the right direction and can help.

PS I could not bring up the pics of the stress cracks.

- CD

#5 ·
The nice thing about this boat is that you will still have the availablity of factory support. (Correct CD?) No factory support from Cal. Long gone.

Any boat from this era is going to require some items that needs fixing. Your going to have to allow some budget for refitting. Most items on a boat like this CAN be fixed. Its again a matter of how much you think you'll have to put into it after taking posession.

#6 ·
Do your homework

I don't know if anyone will give you the number you ask, but if someone does, I'd say its because they don't know any better. What inventory is included, an engine? Pictures don't tell the full story, you have to see the boat in person.

To come to a reasonable value for this boat, you need to do your own homework. There any many older threads about the purchase of a boat, and determining value, you use the SEARCH funtion to find some and read them completely. Here are a few http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying-boat/29667-search-first-boat-long-learning-curves.html

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying-boat/18028-boat-prices-boat-values-fiberglass.html

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying-boat/26392-market-value-vs-replacment-cost.html

I suspect C27s have sold for from $500- $15,000 - only you can collect the information needed to figure out where in the scale this ONE boat should fit. You should decide whether you like the C27 and want one - if so look at three or four, make a list adjusting their prices for pluses/minuses so you have some basis for deciding what a specific one may be worth. Then make an offer...but base your decision on something other than what seems cheap - a cheap boat usually turns out to be expensive.

#8 ·
What, you mean Catalina doesn't support products for 30 years?

#10 ·
Sailormann said:
Perhaps they don't have time - what with all the support they need to provide for last year's models ;)
LOL... I think you've just declared war on CD...

#12 ·
Saur,
I've seen C-27s in better condition than that go for $7k. Personally, I would wait for something better to come up. The boat looks tired and if the interior condition is any indication of the engine condition then you could be in for trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.