Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007

dutchy is on a distinguished road
buying a boat in USA and sailing it to holland

I am seriously thinking of buying a boat in the USA/Canada and sail it to Holland. For two reasons:
1)As far as I can see, sailing yachts are a lot cheaper in North America, then in Western Europe. I figure this must have to do with the euro-dollar ratio.
2) It gives me the perfect excuse to make an ocean crossing.
I have a lot of questions:
Does anyone have experience with importing/exporting a yacht to Holland?
Do I have to pay VAT if I import a yacht?
I have been surfing through yachtworld.com and am thinking of going over to the states, but where do I start. I want to see as many yachts in a short time. Which area has many yachtbrokers?

I am interested in a Tayana 37 or a Hans Christian 38 and want to spend a maximum of 125.000 us dollar. Can I fot this amount get a ship that, woth some minor investments, takes me across the ocean?

There are a lot more questions, but I leave them at first. Thanks very much fot the advice!

Wim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Not only do you need to pay VAT, you may need to pay import duty as well. Plus, watch out for the EU's Recreational Craft Directive, if its a fairly new boat, it must have a cert. if it doesn't have one, you pay more. Buy a boat in Scandinavia, you'll pay less, then sail both ways across the Atlantic.
Old 04-03-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Agree with Indians..go to Scandinavia and buy it there..

Check Portugal, Spain and Italy, where a lot of older people that bought very good boats are selling them cheaper.

Plus in the States they have this habit of hiring surveyors for everything..(may be too many law suits), even to see if the boat is good or not..so keep in mind that there are other expenses to account in the US.

Plus..if something goes wrong...the previous owner is too far away...

I think by the time you pay duties and taxes, etc. It will cost the same.

Now...they DO HAVE a lot more choice and some really exquisite marvellous and unique boats, that we don't have in Europe...they have these Pearsons, Island PAckets, Hylas etc. that we don't have, and some are quite cheap...but again..European certification..might not be existent.

But also, proportionally have a lot of crap...
Old 04-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of the boats in the US do not have an EU RCD certification. If you were to buy one that does not, you would probably have to factor in the cost of getting the boat EU certified. Also, you have to consider that buying a boat, even a new one, and then sailing it across an ocean is a rather big step to take. It would be wise to make a couple of "shakedown" cruises before crossing the Atlantic. That will mean taking more time to purchase the boat. If you buy the boat in Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Norway or some other part of Europe, you can slowly sail the boat over smaller "shakedown" cruises that also work toward bringing the boat towards its new home. Buying it in one the European countries also means that the VAT and other import duties on the boat will likely already have been paid, especially if it is used.

Whether or not it makes sense to buy one here has a lot more costs involved than just the price of the boat. Can you afford the time to travel to-and-from the US to look at different boats? Can you afford the time to do the shakedown cruises and the Atlantic crossing? Can you afford the costs of getting a boat EU RCD certified? Can you afford to pay the VAT and import duties?

PS. There's a really nice 42' custom boat for sale by a guy in Lisbon... He's got photos of it all over these forums, but you'd have to buy it without a boom... as he recently broke the boom against his head...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-03-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Buying a boat in Croatia or out of the Med charter business is an option as well. I considered buying a used French made boat from the States into Canada, but the charges and duties ran up to 24%, making it idiotic. A shame...it was a pretty boat of a type I hadn't encountered, a Jouet 1280.
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
There have been several Tartan 34C's recently purchased in the US and taken to Europe. 1 in Germany, 2 Netherlands, 1 Denmark.
TCA34 - Rubicon - hull no. 1
Old 04-04-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
T those are collectible items...a different story...I want to do that too
remember??

These boats are often bought by collectors that are willing to pay for a rare boat...its different...

And the vintage does not require Euro certification..cool about it is taxes and others are lower as they are treated as collectibles!!
And I can assure you..none were sailed across...
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
They were sailed accross....on the deck of a big ship. The big plus is that they are very similar to the S&S 34 that is available in Europe, but can get the T34 for a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
T those are collectible items...a different story...I want to do that too
remember??
I told you I happen to know of one you can get a good deal on!!
Old 04-04-2007

Even with the S&S here...I still prefer your C series...by far..I like being different...

By the way...did you notice the black ball on the German boat when anchored???? here in Europe we use that a lot...the signs.

I love your boat...one day I'll buy it from you....I hope....ehehehe