SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Why Buy In The Usa Look At This

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  sailaway21 
#1 ·
This is the reason I will be coming to the US to get my next boat.

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

Notice $144500 US that equates to $180625 Aus. Now look at this in Aus, same boat same photos $298000 Aus equates $238400 US.

Find it at Boats for Sale New & Used Yachts @ The Yacht Hub

touch "boats for sale", click "used boats" select 41-50ft and ist on page 2 you will also find a number of other boats listed having came from the States.

Why would,nt I sail one home.

#2 ·
But what import duties and taxes are you going to have to pay when you get back to Australia??

#3 ·
Importing a yacht into Australia.

Yachts are subject to a general rate of duty of 5% based on the customs value (basically the price paid) and 10% GST calculated on the customs value plus international transport and insurance plus the duty.

Privately imported yachts are generally valued using the transaction method of valuation when purchased overseas new or second-hand for export to Australia. Circumstances where Customs may use an alternative method of valuation include such situations as where:

the yacht was constructed by owner/labour;
the yacht has been extensively modified since purchase;
the purchaser and vendor are related parties and that relationship has influenced the purchase price; or
the original purchase price is too far removed in time.
In these instances the yacht will have to be valued by a marine surveyor in Australia. This valuation will be based on the market value and as such will include elements such as customs duty and GST. Customs will have to deduct these elements plus overseas transport from the local valuation.

Where the yacht is sailed to Australia, overseas freight will be determined having regard to essential sailing costs incurred under the most commercially viable conditions. Such costs would include sailing expenditure necessarily incurred while the vessel is actually sailing (and entering and leaving) those ports of call on the most commercially viable route. It would not include any in port expenditure related to the vessel's period of stopover

. Where supported by sufficient/reliable information, essential sailing costs would also include:

cost of maps, charts pilot books, light/radio lists, etc.
crew's hire/wages or forage allowance in lieu
victualling or food costs (does not include tobacco and alcoholic beverages)
bunkering or oil/fuel costs.
This is an indicative rather than exhaustive list, if you have any doubts or queries seek further information from a Customs Information and Support Centre 1300 363 263

#5 ·
importing a yacht

That I dont know but you can bet the govt will be on to that. It would probably be the same as motor vehicle 18 month ownership,before it could be sold, also the vessel has to be Aus registered.

#6 ·
I just got a number of quotes for shipping a vessel to Oz from the Caribbean or SE coast of USA and for a 43" vessel it is about US$35K. If I add in the 5% of purchase price plus the 10% on purchase+$35K the pricing range band narrows quite a bit, but still makes it look worthwhile. If you do add the 5 or 6 week sail into the equation and subtract the shipping but add in wear-and-tear it boils down to "how do you value your time"

#10 · (Edited)
If you did that assuming you paid for transport and that you bought and sold for the asking price, without insurance it works out that you make about 11K or 5% on your expenditure after brokerage. Virtually the same if the selling prices are both 20% less. So as a business I don't think so. The bank would be better.
As an individual you could save on the transport costs by doing it yourself, although you run the risk of some repairs after the passage. You also would not have the 10% brokerage costs of selling ie you are looking at cost to you not the possible gain, so you would save 15% less travel expenses and insurance, say 10K plus the 35k transport assuming you write off all the passage costs as something you would spend anyway.
If the aim is simply to have the boat in oz then say 6 months loss of income would take a fair chunk of possible gain.
For a cheaper boat transport is out so you have to see the passage as not an extra cost but something you want to do. However any saving is offset by increased travelling costs searching for a boat that is ok, higher repair costs, and the fact that equipping a cheap boat for an extended ocean passage costs much the same as for a newer boat, and would be large in comparison to the boat. Say boat 40k 2 sails ssb flares windvane liferaft Epirb motor overhaul new rigging = 23k less if secondhand. There would probably be other costs associated with bringing an older boat to ocean passage stage that you might not incur buying a local cruiser. It looks good but may not be quite so good in practise. It could well cost you 95k us plus 9 k tax by the time you get home.

#12 ·
Somehow I doubt that this is a money making idea. The potential profit on the "real" cost of the boat landed in Oz is simply not high enough to justify the risk.

Anyone who has spent any time at all monitoring the boats for sale pages knows all too well the inordinate amount of time it can take to sell a boat. Boats can and do stay on the market for months, sometimes for years. All the while your investment is going backwards at the rate of interest. If you borrowed money to buy the boat then it is even worse.

On the other hand to buy a boat OS anywhere and cruise from there is to me a fabulous idea and at the end of the day you might even pick up a cheapish boat for yourself.

#13 ·
Fluffy

Thats the idea, Im semi retired and by going to the states I get twise the boat for the money. I do intened to keep it but hay, every thing has a price.
If I did make some money I would do it all again to get a better boat and so on, well thats the plan.
I had a wombat for a pet when I was working/living in Gundagai.

#14 ·
SimonV said:
Fluffy

Thats the idea, Im semi retired and by going to the states I get twise the boat for the money. I do intened to keep it but hay, every thing has a price.
If I did make some money I would do it all again to get a better boat and so on, well thats the plan.
I had a wombat for a pet when I was working/living in Gundagai.
Fluffy ? FLUFFY ?? No bloody respect in this place. Herumph !! :p

As I said, I think it's a fine idea as long as you are not relying on making a quick profit. Ms Wombat and I have a vague plan to go to Europe and do a similar thing if we can't find the next boat here.

Do you read Cruising Helmsman ? One of there contributors did just what you are thinking of last year. Sold his old boat in Oz, flew to the US and bought himself another and sailed it back. The boat, btw, is a Hunter, 40 odd feet.

#15 · (Edited)
TDW
The guys name is John Champion. I would like to chat with him to find out if he sailed his old Hunter 34 (Cooee)from US to Aus. I do like the look of the Hunters and feel it would do well if sold in Aus. Ive been looking at the H37and 36 1979-84.

#17 ·
SimonV said:
TDW
The guys name is John Champion. I would like to chat with him to find out if he sailed his old Hunter 34 (Cooee)from US to Aus. I do like the look of the Hunters and feel it would do well if sold in Aus. Ive been looking at the H37and 36 1979-84.
Broker at our marina sells new Hunters. Not my speed, I have to say but I do find it interesting that a man of his experience bought one knowing that he intended to sail it across the Pacific. I say that in light of the number of detractors there are concerning Hunters in general.

I doubt that should the occasion arise you'd have much trouble selling a Hunter in Oz. They seem very popular.

ps - Chris, wombats are not the most house trainable of critters. :)

#18 · (Edited)
"Tonka", My wombat just about collapsed the chook shed, and use to bit the dog. ( I digress) Back to boats. If the Hunters were no good how come they are still in business. The only down side I can find is from the Hunterowners.com is from a bloke who sailed across the Atlantic a couple of times. Stated on the first crossing had some oil canning at the bow, this was fixed by glassing in some foam stringers between the ribs, not a difficult fix.

#19 ·
Stubborn little critters us wombats. Immoveable object met irresistable force. :)

I'm not qualified to comment on Hunters per se. When I said they are not my speed that was just from viewing a couple at boat shows. It was an interesting day that. On the Hunter the salesman insisted on talking sailing to me while showing Ms W the drying cupboard in the galley. Not a good move on his part. On the other hand when we ventured on board an Island Packet (whoa nellie was that a nice bit of kit) the salesman took Ms W on a tour of the deck, showed her all the cool gizmos, discussed contruction details etc etc. Smart man. Well he would have been if we had the spare million to have bought the thing. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I'm sure that others on the board will start rabbitting on about Hunters before long.

The obvious downsides to buying a boat over there would be I suppose trying to do it by remote control. I'd think you would have to allow yourself a couple of months in the states. Even though you will have a shortlist of boats to view they will undoubtedly be spread out all over the place and pretty pictures can hide a multitude of faults. Secondly it is likely that you'll have to do at least some work on the boat when you do buy her , particularly given the trip you plan to undertake. I find it hard enough finding decent tradesmen to do work in the place I call home , you'll be in unknown territory. Hardly insurmountable problems as long as you are prepared for the eventualities.

You seem a fairly level headed chap, so I reckon you'll be OK. Good luck to you, I hope it all pans out. I'd be happy to see your progress reports.

#20 ·
I guess this discussion has told me, in a roundabout way, that selling my boat in the Caribbean and buying one in Oz in order to save the shipping fees and to save a couple of months of initial travel time isn't a viable option. With the cost of living in Australia being relatively low, I'm surprised at the costs of boats - they must really be luxury items.

Is it possible to liveaboard in Sydney harbour or was that plan of mine a bust as well?

#21 ·
Wombats also have a nasty habit of stealing stuff and hiding it in their pouch... ;) Making it very difficult to keep order around the house.

Zanshin-

The Caribbean isn't the best place to be selling a boat IMHO. Unfortunately, there are usually quite a few boats for sale there. There are always those who have made it to the Islands and have decided that cruising isn't for them and put their boats up for sale and fly back home. My friend has bought three of her boats there, in just that situation... and gotten a pretty good deal on all three.

Besides, isn't sailing half-way around the world your idea of a fun trip. :D

#23 · (Edited)
Zanshin said:
I guess this discussion has told me, in a roundabout way, that selling my boat in the Caribbean and buying one in Oz in order to save the shipping fees and to save a couple of months of initial travel time isn't a viable option. With the cost of living in Australia being relatively low, I'm surprised at the costs of boats - they must really be luxury items.

Is it possible to liveaboard in Sydney harbour or was that plan of mine a bust as well?
It is not they are a luxury item; it's the population and the distance we are separated by. For instance Australia imports cars to the US where they sell for less than we can buy them here. We just don't have the competition that you do, if a good boat hits the market you might if lucky have a number of buyers wanting it, where in the US you have more boats than buyers.

As for living aboard there is some restrictions in different areas, you can get a short term berth at the cruising Yacht club for $280 week or a mooring for $300 month and that is in Lavender bay which is the first bat on the right after you pass the Opera house and go under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, right in the middle of Sydney CBD.

#24 ·
CapnHand said:
Then, of course, the question would be whether to come back or keep going.
I thought about that myself. If I bought on the East coast why not do the Med and come home by the Suez........ There are too many people with nasty ideas and big guns with little value of life, who want to do harm to nice cruising folk on a leisurely trip home. The Pacific is called that because it is full of peaceful happy people.

#25 · (Edited)
sailingdog said:
...Besides, isn't sailing half-way around the world your idea of a fun trip...
I'll still be sailing around the world, but for me it is now a question of time and convenience. Since I still have no news about getting my rudder, I am going to negotiate with the yard right after posting this message in order to secure a hurricane-hole for the season and then re-start my trip this coming November.

It looks like I'll be in Sydney in 2 or maybe 3 weeks - I'll probably be there before my rudder arrives here!

#26 ·
CapnHand said:
Then, of course, the question would be whether to come back or keep going.
You could always choose to stop and stay... Isn't that what Bernard Moitessier did during the the Golden Globe non-stop solo race in 1968?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.