Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007

pourme is on a distinguished road
Westerly Centaur Identification

I am researching a westerly centaur 26. I'm a little confused about distinguishing features that differentiate one year from the other. I have noticed that the forward portholes differ. Some have two round ones or two square ones on either side and some one round or one square on either side. How do these relate to production years? Is there a list of hull numbers somewhere that correlate hull numbers with production years?
Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2007
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
The first Centaurs were built in 1966 or 67.

The way to identify the earliest boats is to look where the lower shrounds are attached to the cabin top. For the first few years they attach above the main cabin fwd portlight. With use, it had a tendency to slightly deform the seal of the port to fiberglass just enough to leak. To avoid that problem they moved the chainplate fwd of the portlight. I believe that was circa 1970.

The boat was standard with one fwd port on each side, the second being an option. The change from round to rectangular (almost square) forward ports was done in 1974.

The first few years also had a swept back rudder, pretty but not effective. Around 1970 that was changed to a spade rudder. In 1977 a small skeg ahead of the rudder was incorporated into the design. Also about 1977, maybe late '76 the cabin bulkheads changed from a veneer to teak faced ply.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 08-12-2007

Zogumwesterly is on a distinguished road
I had a 69' Centaur. it was a great iveaboard for a single guy, the boat was slow as poison though. I couldn't tell you anything about year ID except that mine had 4 round ports and a spade rudder. I really enjoyed the boat alot and put about 5,000 miles on it in less than 3 years. very solid!
Old 08-12-2007
Seasoned Salt

Forgot to mention there should be a hull ID on the starboard side of the transom. If memory serves, the first two letteres will be WM for Westerly Marine. The next two designate the model and yard it was built in. Then 4 numbers that are the hull/sail number, and then 4 more numbers that designate month and year of construction.

When I hear statements of slowness, I think, compared to what and under what conditions? Certainly on a near calm surface with 6 knots of wind it will be passed by many lighter craft. But given substantial chop and 15 knots and gusting it will carry itself forward with stability and comfort lacking on it's lighter company which are knocked about by the seas and heeling sharply with each gust. In my day we would readily take on Tartan 27's, a similar vintage and size. And I'd choose a Westerly over a Cape Dory any day for strength and storage capacity.
Old 08-13-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/

May have some good info, there's a couple links in the 'Westerly range' tab to some fairly detailed articles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 08-14-2007
Seasoned Salt

I am trying to post some images of the specifics I mentioned above. But all my image uploads fail, even though well under minimum file size and dimensions. If I can get it to work I'll have them up here.
Old 08-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Trekka-

Post the photos to a Flickr.com or other photosharing website, and then link to them in your post using the image tool (which looks like a yellow postcard with a sun and two mountains).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-14-2007
Seasoned Salt

Centaur Identifcation Guide

Ok, hope I created this right. Here is my first attempt at a guide to identifying the vintage of Westerly Centaur/Pembroke boats.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1143502...7601438686074/