Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Question Fresh Water Better Than Salt Water?

I am looking at a Bristol 29.9 and the Broker keeps telling me it is better because it has been in fresh water most of it's life? Why? I don't buy it most of the boats throughout the world are in salt water and if maintained last just as long? Is this sales hype or is there any validity to his claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2007

capt.stu is on a distinguished road
I would agree with the broker. Less corosion in fresh water over the same period of time. Key word "maintenance"
Old 04-04-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
I think it matters for one thing salt water over time will eat the insides of the engine if it is raw water cooled. So it depends on the age of the boat and the engine it has. Also a boat that I have seen from the late 69 had standard plumbing fittings for their water lines (engine cooling lines) and I believe these would corrode over time using salt water. Also I think there will be more fouling on the hull if the boat sits in salt water unless the owner has kept up with bottom painting. Just some thoughts, I am a newbie but from my reading and discussions thats what I have gathered. I am sure additional people will chime in to hopfully validate my response. Hope it helps!
Old 04-04-2007

Guesser is on a distinguished road
Fresh water is better. Over the years salt really takes a toll on everything; including items that are difficult, if not impossible to maintain; electronics, navigation lights, plumbing, heating, refrigeration, upholstery etc.
Old 04-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ditto...salt bad...water good!
Old 04-04-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I agree that fresh is better than salt, but the offset $$ wise if not that much as I recall. Contact a surveyor. Something off the top of my mind is like 5-10% difference in purchase price for a boat that has been fresh all of its life.

Maybe CardiacPaul could help on this one.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-04-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Be prepared to deal with the fact that if you bring a boat that has been in fresh all its working life into a salt water environment, you could have rapid and destructive failures of some gear.

I have the original 34 year old rigging (which I inspect yearly) on my 1973 never seen salt 33 footer, plus a variety of original thruhulls (I replaced the seacocks/ball valves from the original "garden type" gate valves, however). I also have raw water cooling and a 180F thermostat for the Atomic 4. Were I to go into salt, I would have to immediately consider a standing rigging change, because I'm going to do it "just because" in a couple of years for fresh water anyway. I would have to get the brass off the boat in certain areas and pop for bronze or Marelon. I would have to retrofit for FWC on the engine, because 30 year old Atomic 4s don't want yearly acidic flushes. Did I mention I'd need a new thermostat?

Lots to consider here that to my mind wipe out the premium...unless of course you are KEEPING the freshwater Bristol in fresh water. Then it's whatever the market will bear.

You would be amazed at how many really old FG production boats are still in use here on the Great Lakes. Part of that is the absence of salt.
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Salt v. Fresh water... Pick the Fresh water everytime. The salt water environment (not just the water itself) will speed up corosion of EVERYTHING metal on the boat; electronics, engine, plumbing, electrical system, etc....
Old 04-04-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
Be prepared to deal with the fact that if you bring a boat that has been in fresh all its working life into a salt water environment, you could have rapid and destructive failures of some gear.

I have the original 34 year old rigging (which I inspect yearly) on my 1973 never seen salt 33 footer, plus a variety of original thruhulls (I replaced the seacocks/ball valves from the original "garden type" gate valves, however). I also have raw water cooling and a 180F thermostat for the Atomic 4. Were I to go into salt, I would have to immediately consider a standing rigging change, because I'm going to do it "just because" in a couple of years for fresh water anyway. I would have to get the brass off the boat in certain areas and pop for bronze or Marelon. I would have to retrofit for FWC on the engine, because 30 year old Atomic 4s don't want yearly acidic flushes. Did I mention I'd need a new thermostat?

Lots to consider here that to my mind wipe out the premium...unless of course you are KEEPING the freshwater Bristol in fresh water. Then it's whatever the market will bear.

You would be amazed at how many really old FG production boats are still in use here on the Great Lakes. Part of that is the absence of salt.
Keep in mind that you may have to make all of those updates anyway just as general maintainence if the boat has been in salt all its life. If the difference comes down to the thermostat, let me know, I send you one.
Old 04-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, make sure if you move a boat from freshwater to salt water that you upgrade all the zincs. The ones used in freshwater won't last much more than a month in salt water...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.