SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

mast height 37'

5K views 45 replies 13 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
what is the height of the mast above the waterline, on a rerular sloop, wht is the total height from keel to top?does anyone know any good AFFORDABLE perkins wrenches in the D.C./ Baltimore area?

#2 ·
Mast height, varies by boat, and even model of the same boat. Also, are you wondering about mast height, or bridge clearance?

#3 ·
The height of the mast above the waterline depends on the boat, since different boats have different amounts of freeboard and different cabin heights.

Same thing for the distance between the bottom of the keel to the top of the cabin top.

#7 ·
Sailortjk1-

Freeboard is generally the height from the waterline to the deck, but generally doesn't include the doghouse's height above the deck, so you'd be a bit short on that measurement unless the boat is a flush deck design, which most cruising boats aren't. Also, you need to add some distance for the VHF antenna, masthead lights and windex.

#8 · (Edited)
Jesus Dog, you think the extra antanna is gonna make that much difference. This guy doesn't even know where to start.
"I" does not include the deckhouse.

From the link..........

"I" is measured along the front of mast from the genoa halyard to the main deck. The main deck is where the deck would be if there were no deckhouse.

Sailboat Rig Dimensions

#9 ·
LOL, true, he's pretty far from a clue...

BTW, you're right about the "I" including the deckhouse, but only gives the mast and doghouse height if the boat is a masthead rig. However, IIRC, if it is a fractional rig, then "I" doesn't go to the top of the mast. So we really need to know what the boat is...

#12 · (Edited)
Giu-

Who me??

Sailortjk1-

If he can't tell us what boat he has, why would you think he'd know the difference between a fractional and a masthead rig...

#21 ·
things that keep me up at night...

why is it that a mans legs go from his butt to the ground, but a womans legs go from earth to heaven?

#25 ·
Sabre66 said:
I don't know...It's a slippery slope, bashing Macs, Bennys and Catalinas...where's the love?:D
As far as I know...all the bashing really has stopped in a while..the bashing you may see is a friendly jest between people that have been here a while, and know where and how to go with the joking, well except maybe CD, and really...we all dress better and most own a boat here...:D

CP how's the "ticker"??

#26 ·
I'm joking of course:D By the way I appreciate the sketches you posted the other day illustrating the weak and strong points of mid and end sheeting booms. I have a 14' carbon fiber boom I outfitted myself(end sheeting) based on your experience I'm re thinking a couple of items such as the location of my outhaul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.