Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
My first boat was a Budweiser keg sawed in half with a mopp handle superglued to its keel and pink flamingo shower curtain mainsail . It wouldn't point worth a shhh but she was a dab hand runnin down wind. I had a couple of beavers mounted to the transom and carried a club to encourage them for auxillary power. She was a fine wee boat but I lost intrest in her when I discovered Mount Gay Rum. Nahh the first boat was a Sunfish I loved that thing ,we lived in Saudi Arabia and Dad got it for us kids I was 9 bro was 7 and we lived to capsize that thing on the Persian Gulf at a place called Half-moon Bay Dammam . Thanks for starting this thread it brought back some great memories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2007

fupls is on a distinguished road
My first boat was a 1978 made Catalina 25. We bought it from her loving owner because he upgraded to a bigger one. We sailed with her for another 12 years before we found her present owner as we moved to a bigger one too.
Old 09-16-2007

paulsilva is on a distinguished road
My first boat (@ 6 years old) was a 8' wooden skiff with a beach umbrella for a sail and an oar for a rudder. I would sail accross the harbor, aprox 1 mile, down wind then row back. Then moved up to a beetle cat.
Old 09-16-2007

Jim H is on a distinguished road
First sailboat: 8 foot closed rectangular skiff built in high school shop class. Plans from some "book for boys," blue nylon sail I sewed up, rigging hand-made from the hardware store, daggerboard and swing up rudder. Nicest part-- mahogany hand rails I made. Name: Cynus.

She was sailed for a couple of years on a fresh water lake on the Oregon Coast. Not bad if there was enough wind. After she rotted out, we burned her Viking style at the edge of the lake. Her mast, rigging, daggerboard and rudder/tiller are still in the beach house 20 years later.

Jim H
Old 09-16-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I bought my first boat from Lippincott at the Annapolis show in 1976 - a 27 ft Cal 2-27 for 17,000 dollars. We sailed out of Kent Island and later out of St. Petersburg, FL. for the next 4 years. That was alot of money back then. Now two sails for my boat cost that much.
Old 10-25-2007

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Boston Whaler

Yep, a Harpoon 5.2 (17')centerboard sloop. Sweet, bulletproof, beachable, quick little daysailer. Room for four and a decent sized cooler. Bought it in 1980 for $5, sold in in 1986 for $5K, saw one for sale recently in the Jackonville, FL paper for $5K. They made a 4.6 (15') centerboard boat as well, and a few 20' keel boats.
Old 10-25-2007

GulfCoastSkimmer is on a distinguished road
Sunfish

First with a sail was a Sunfish. Often sail it still off the beautiful (lol) beaches of Bolivar Texas. I love goin out out when the waves are about 2-3ft. Oh and dont mind the PVC sleve over the boom, it will hold, thats just were it broke on the beach. Oh, you think the halyard and control lines look a little off for a sailboat, and you have never seen carabiners used quite like that. Who said you cant use old climbing gear for your sailboat... had to do something with em when they got retired from my Enchanted rock gear. Nah its totally safe today to head out so far the houses look like ants, here put on this inflatable vest on, its worth more than the boat so please dont mess it up, have fun
Old 10-26-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
i'm glad someone revived this thread..very interesting to see the genesis of everyone's sailing experience, not to mention bringing back a flood of memories for me.
as for me, a 9 foot Turnabout (a veritable tub w/ sails), but i won my first race in that boat at 7... the thing even had a spinnaker. it was bright yellow and fun (for a kid at least) to sail...mine was wood, and the newer ones were glass..i even remember getting t-boned by a friend (i had right of way)..the boat didn't seem to care as i ended up w/ a huge hole...
then on to flying juniors, 470s columbia 26, J/24..and now my sabre 30..
ain't sailing a wunerful thing...

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 10-26-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
1969 Grampian 26. Bought it in late October 2001 after going out two weeks before on a friends Catalina 22 (1972). Sailed that boat 9 times in Nov and Dec (including new years eve) despite the 2 hour drive to the boat and nasty weather. In spring, donated it to the youth sailing portion of the yacht club / community I am now the vice commodore of and bought a 1986 Hunter 31. The main reason I bought the boat was I wanted the slip (precious in Annapolis) and a boat I didn't mind sinking to learn on.
Old 10-26-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Other than canoes, our first boat was our current Omega 36.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.