SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where to leave a boat for a week or two in buzzards bay

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
deleted

#2 · (Edited)
Congratulations on the purchase.. :D

From the Maptech chart of the area, the following have either transient moorings or slips, and are right by the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal.

Onset Town Pier 508-295-8160
Stonebridge Marina 508-295-8003*
Point Independence YC 508-295-3972**
Onset Bay Marina 508-273-0357**
Maco's 508-759-9836*
Bourne Marina 508-759-2512**

Onset Town Pier has no fuel facilities whatsoever. The ones with ** have both gas and diesel at their fuel docks according to the chart, the ones with * only have gas.

My recommendation would be to use one of the two I've italicized, since I think they'll be easier to get to, and are more sheltered than the last two wil be. The first four marinas I've listed have both moorings and slips and are located in Onset Bay. TThe last two only have slips and are located closer to the canal entrance, but face southwest, which is often the prevailing wind in BB.

I'm down in the New Bedford part of Buzzards Bay, and would normally recommend something there, but that would be a bit far from the Canal entrance.

Be very aware of the tidal current at the mouth of the Cape Cod Canal, as if the wind is blowing from the SW and the current is ebbing, you'll get some really nasty waves right there. BTW, the westward ebb tidal current in the canal is about 4.5 knots. The eastward ebb tidal current is about 4 knots. It is best to go in the canal with the tide or on slack tide, depending on the wind direction.

The Cape Cod Canal Control operates on VHF 12 & 14. The bridge at the west end only has a 7' clearance when closed, and a blue light warning boats approaching with the current.

I hope this helps.. :D any questions, let me know.

#4 · (Edited)
Parkers is a good choice, but a good deal further from the CCC entrance, about six or seven NM IIRC. They can be reached at 508-563-9366.

However, one major reason I was suggesting Onset is that it is on the mainland side of the bay, and ground transportation will be much simpler if he's on that side rather than on Cape Cod. The traffic over the bridges to the Cape really make it much more of a hassle than the Onset marinas will be.

#7 ·
Sailaway-

LOL....You're just evil... a bad, bad, bad, very bad, man... I got plenty of projects to do on my own boat...

#8 · (Edited)
Well, the Cape is separated from the mainland by the Cape Cod Canal...and only has two bridges going across. Public transportation is very scarce on the Cape, and the fact that all traffic is routed over those two bridges, means that you can get serious bottlenecks.

If you stay on the mainland side, getting to a transportation hub, like Boston, is vastly simplified.

PM me when you've got your schedule, and maybe we can meet up. I'm down at my marina most weekends, and will be spending more time down there as the season progresses.

I'd also recommend that you pick up a copy of either Eldrige's or Reed's East Coast Almanac. You'll need one or the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.