Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007

stilllearning is on a distinguished road
Question Good Aussie Blue Water Yachts - On A Budget

Hey All,

I am looking to buy a good offshore yacht - and am limited by budget to about $20,000... I know a massive limitation already... but am looking at some H28's, Van Der Stat's and the like but really want to know who in Australia is sailing what.

Ideally something that is capable of sailing to Vanuatu?

Any information greatly appreciated... I have read a couple of great books - John Vigor's best 20 cruisers etc but these are all USA boats of which are not overly prevalent - a couple of contessa's here and there.

Any information or experiences greatly appreciated...

Also if this is one of the those forums where everyone is going to email in saying - a sub 30 foot boat is not suitable and you need more money than this blah blah blah.. get back in your arm chair and email someone who cares :P

Love the forum

Love and kisses
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Stilllearning-

While I am not familiar with what is available down under, I can say that you can get a boat that is capable of doing such a journey with in your budget, and that many boats smaller than 30' are capable of such voyages.

The Contessa 26, or the boat it is based on, the Folkboat are both good choices. Westerly made quite a few models that fit your requirements, but they're an English firm, so I don't know if there will be many down where you are. Albergs, Cape Dorys, Southern Crosses, Elizabethans, are all boats that might fit your requirements.

Most of the ones that will meet your budget will be older full-keel designs, rather than newer, more modern fin keel designs.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-09-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
The H28 can as could the Van de Stadt and possibly the Duncanson 29. While you may bargain these to your budget perhaps, that doesn't include the cost of fixing to an offshore standard. I don't understand your question who in Australia is sailing what? Who cares? You want a seaworthy boat for that budget. Guess you don't want to be told to take a liferaft.
Old 04-09-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Stillearning

You cant go wrong with a top Hat 25', pure blue water, with more space than a folk boat. Space is relative though great single handed cosey with a partner but that would be it. Delivered one from Sydney to Coffs in the late 80's a very good small real yacht.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-09-2007

stilllearning is on a distinguished road
Top Hat?

Thanks

Hey what sort of keel is the Tophat... what makes it a good bluewater yacht?

I have always wondered why these are worth the dollars... they seem relatively expensive given age etc...

Cheers
Old 04-09-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Full keel, heavy dispacement, very stiff. Most had a small deisel.

Simon

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like an Alberg design... LOL...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.