Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007
Banned

leffklm is on a distinguished road
Small, beachable boat

I have been working my way through the ASA classes up through their bareboat class and enjoy sailing on the bigger boats, but the idea of having a small little daysailor to dink around on is really appealing to me. My best friend has a place on a small, secluded bay where I can keep a boat (in his side yard), but it would have to be beachable and not too heavy so that it can be dragged or carried a short distance by two people. Ideally, it would have room for two people and be a forgiving boat for a moderate beginner to learn on. I'm not interested in speed, just comfortable sailing with emphasis on stability and staying dry. This would almost exclusively be sailed in relatively calm waters with light breezes. I know most of the discussions here are centered around much larger boats, but I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone has any knowledge or recommendations on a boat that might meet my needs.

Thanks in advance!

Leff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Go to new england and get a cat boat. When you get tired of it you can sell it easily they sell like hot cakes up on the cape (cod). You can take them right up to the beach and they are small.
Old 04-12-2007
Currently, between boats.

ChicagoNewport27 is on a distinguished road
I don't know what area you're in, but if you're in/around Illinois...

There's a guy on the chicago craigslist.org site posting a 19' Weekend sloop FOR FREE. If you're handy with tools, this might be a fun project to (A) learn to restore a smallish, trailerable boat and (B) have a fun little daysailer to dink around with.

Weekender sloop sailboat-Free
Old 04-12-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
I second the catboat idea. Great little boats that are stable and reasonably dry with lots of room. Tons of resources available to aid with rigging, sailing, cruising, etc..

The 18 footers have berths and portable heads and work for 2 people for short time periods. While they are certainly beachable drawing only 19" with the board up, the 18 footers weigh approx. 2,200 pounds so dragging them up a beach would b difficult unless you have won a World's Strongest Man competition recently

They are also very easy to sell in NE as saurav16 said. We paid 12K for an 18' 15 years ago and just sold it in a week for 11K. They really hold there value.

Good luck...enjoy whatever you get!
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The bigger cat boats don't really count as being light enough to be dragged by two people generally. The smaller ones would be ideal. However, cat boats have rig that is basically unique to them and a few others, so unless you're interested in a Hinterholler Nonsuch as your larger cruising boat, it might be wise to stick to something with a standard sloop rig.

There are some smaller boats that might be good choices, but most of the common smaller boats that are sloop rigged are racing dinghies, and not really suitable if you don't want to get wet. BTW, staying dry and sailing on a small boat are generally incompatible...

The West Wight Potters come to mind as a decent, relatively dry daysailer, and could be used for an occasional weekend or overnight trip. Again, these like the catboats are a bit heavy to beach.

The Melonseed skiff is another good one. What I would recommend is that you get a copy of Small Craft Advisor magazine and take a look through it, as it has a lot of small sailboats listed in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-12-2007

ollie820 is on a distinguished road
Here are my picks. From what I have seen of Cat boats they seem to be heavy and you may have issues.

O'day Widgeon
Catalina Capri
JY 15
Pearson Hawk

Be prepared to go swimming with these:
Hobie
Sunfish
Laser
Old 04-12-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
What about a Flying Scot.....
Nice boat, stable, good learning platform, trailerable, roomy cockpit for a daysailor.

They weigh 850 lbs.
You might be able to drag that up the beach.
Have you thought about some sort of dolly arrangement to help with on and off the beach. They are available.
I don't have personal experience sailing these boats, but I have admired them from a far. I would certainly consider one for myself one day.
Flying Scot® Sailboats
Old 04-12-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
This one has sailing canoe written all over it.

Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A Catalina Capri is over 1300 lbs... are you guys nuts??? A Beetle Cat would be a much better choice at a third the weight. A Cape Cod Mercury, which is sloop rigged, would also be a much better choice, at 900 lbs...

While I like the sailing canoe idea, most of them aren't sloop rigged... and they tend to be a bit tippy...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-12-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-12-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
tippy generally wouldn't meet the "dry" criteria very well

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.