Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
What where the quality control issue years for Hunter?

I know the earlier boats, while cheap, were built decently and that the latest boats have gotten much better. What years to stay away from? I found two nice Hunter 54's that I'm eyeballing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I would think it's fair comment that any Hunter ever made is fine for a reasonably limited sort of sailing, so if you state your intended use of the boat, you might get some opinions.

I have heard Hunter has gotten on top of some quality control issues in the last decade, but they sure built some crappy, flimsy boats (in my extremely biased toward ocean-level seaworthiness-driven opinion!) that sold in the thousands to a lot of people who are obviously happy with them. I see people enjoying Hunters every day...at the dock or in 10 knots of wind on summer days. I happened to note one day that the cabin height on a Hunter 33 was about three to four feet higher than on my 33...I found the effect displeasing and the idea of all that windage a little offputting.

Nonetheless, I really liked that Hunter 50 of a few years ago. It looked wicked fast, as I might have said as a teenager, and I thought they were brave to clap a tiller in it. But I don't know if they held together in a blow. I have also heard that the Cherubini Hunters are fine. They've really had a mixed bag of designs.
Old 04-12-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, the 37 C's were good boats and I know the H54's were fast, rated at 45 PHRF I think. The H54 had a funky garage in the stern that had the rudder moved forward about 8-10 feet which made them a bit squirrely downwind, as I've been told but production stopped on these boats in '93 I believe. The two 54's I'm looking at are both '92 models.
Old 04-12-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You might check at HunterOwners.com for more info specific to the 54.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2007
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
Hunter 54 has one thing to look out for. The brackets for the steering are not attached very well. This will eventually break on you, so if the boat has not had this replaced it should be done. Had mine beefed up with carbon fiber. Also look at the keel plate, not built very strongly and had to put in a new one.
My 54 is rated at 51. I'll be in the Newport Ensenada race this year.
The dighny garage is a neat idea but on any serious passage needs to be sealed up. If you put a dighny in there its really hard to pull out.
My 54 holds course very well while sailing but while motoring you need an autopilot. Will turn on a dime though.
If you are looking at a Hunter 54 and being told they are 1992 models, you are getting fooled. This model was only produced for a few years in the early 80s.

Last edited by dohenyboy; 04-12-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2007
On the hard

They might've been '82's. It's been awhile since I looked at them.
Old 04-13-2007

sailh34 is on a distinguished road
From what I remember reading, the quality control problems started in the mid-80's to late 80's when the owner left the company to do some offshore racing. This makes me feel good since I own a mid-80's Hunter which I guess it one of the lemons (though I like it just fine). I have no idea if this is true or not, but I just remember reading it. Our mid 80's Hunter has not yet fallen apart and seems to be in better shape than the older ones that I have looked at, so take it with a grain of salt I guess.
Old 04-13-2007
On the hard

That sounds par for the course. I think it's a per boat thing. Everybody talks down the Macs but when I take my '76 Venture out to play, I routinely run by newer, larger or supposedly faster boats. I'm almost tempted to get the new Carbon sails and a Assym on her to go be a PHRF killer locally. I'll probably just go ahead and spend that money on the new boat instead.
Old 04-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
What where the quality control issue years for Hunter?
I believe they are 1968 to 2007 (inclusive)
Old 04-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailormann-

Be nice... there were a few Hunters that were fairly decent boats... but they're like the Upside Down Flying Jenny stamp... very rare...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.