Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Pearson 34 versus O'Day 34

Really like the Pearson 34 design and layout. I am pretty tall (6' 6") so in the 30 to 35 ft range, not many boats fit me that I can afford. The Pearson 34 is one of the few boats that does.

My cousin used to own a O'Day 34 (early 80's vintage) and said it was a solid boat and that I would probably fit in and I should consider. I had sailed on it many times, but never really had a need to spend time below.

Looking at the listings on YW, they are a on par with or a little less expensive than a Pearson 34. The Oday's are said to have a solid FG hull, while the Pearson is cored. Aside from that differences, is there a significant differrnce in quality? Early 80's Pearson are pretty well put together boats. Same for Oday? Would I fit in a Oday 34?

Thanks.
DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
First my bias -- I own a P-33-2, so you know which boat I favor. But what year P-34 are you looking at? Early 80's vintage is different from the one produced in the mid-late 80's until Pearson went belly up in 1991. Have never been on an O-Day 34, but I think in general Pearson built better boats (my opinion only of course.) Also, the only Pearson's built with cored hulls were the ones from 40 feet and up. So whatever 34 you are looking at will have a cored deck, but a solid glass hull.

If you have my specific questions on the P-34-1 or 34-2, sign up for the Pearson email list here on Sailnet and ask there. I know some owners of the 34-1 also if you want to connect directly with someone who knows that model. There weren't that many 34-2's made.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook