Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007

theArchitect is on a distinguished road
Bristol 29.9 Appropriate for N. Chesapeake?

Hello,
I am considering a Bristol 29.9 for weekend cruising on the Cheasapeake. It seems like a weak point of this boat is "it takes a little wind to get her going". Will this boat suit my purpose? If you are familiar with this boat and the sailing conditions around Annapolis, I'd be grateful for your feedback. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I think the 29.9 will be a fine boat for cruising the Bay. As you say...not the fastest but well built and will stand up to conditions in summer squalls and has a nice shoal draft to let you gunkhole around the area. They are small interior volume boats compared with some production boats today but I assume that you have looked at that and found enough room for your purposes.
You might consider adding a drifter for light air days but no matter what boat you're on, a lot of summer days on the bay wll simply be rock and roll in the swell while looking at your boats' reflection in the water!
Nice boat!
Old 04-16-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Definitely add a gennaker & large headsail. When we were up there, the powerboats knocked out all our wind and we'd stop (in a Sabre 28) dead. The 29.9 is a nice boat and we'd see a few in that area. Perhaps there was a dealer there at one time?
Old 04-16-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
It'll be a good bay boat. There was one at my marina a few years ago and the guy loved the boat. In the heat of the summer, most boats drift around here on the Chesapeake, so don't let that stop you. Go for it.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 04-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One reason I'm glad I'm not down on the Chesaeake is the wind consistency, or lack thereof during the summer... Here on Buzzards Bay, the wind is pretty consistent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-17-2007

theArchitect is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-17-2007
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
One reason I'm glad I'm not down on the Chesaeake is the wind consistency, or lack thereof during the summer... Here on Buzzards Bay, the wind is pretty consistent.
Dawg -- It all averages out to a nice sailing breeze of 10-15 knots during the day in the summer. Zephyrs of 0-10 knots most of the day, then 40 knots in the afternoon squalls. You get used to it. And we still have one of the most varied sailing venues anywhere -- especially if you happen to own a boat with a shoal draft winged keel and can explore all the creeks and bays.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 04-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mitch-

While I can take full advantage of the zephyrs, most monohulls, especially under canvassed ones, like the Bristol 29.9, will have a tough time with it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-17-2007
Senior Moment

Dawg,

1) Others adequately responded to that issue.

2) That's why they invented beer.

Old 04-17-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
SailorMitch, You're right! My wife and I are transplants from the NJ shore (Ocean City) and while there is better wind, there are many times when you simply can't go out the inlets. On the other hand, we've been on the bay since '87 and have only scratched the surface wrt finding all the coves, creeks, and rivahs.

I'm off topic, sorry. Architect - buy the Bristol, it's a great boat. Sink your life savings, make it the best Bristol on the bay and never regret a minute because you'll see things that can't be seen anywhere else ... but venture South below the Potomac - best sailing in the Bay in my (almost) humble opnion.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.