SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hunter 25 versus Catalina 250

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  h16Sailor 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for input on comparison between Hunter 25 shoal keel and Catalina 250 wing keel for recreational sailing on lakes - any other manufacturers suggested? Looking at new purchase - need shallower draft - looking for ease in single handing or for two - overall length 28' or less.

#3 ·
Are you planning on keeping it in the water or trailering the boat? Also, have you looked at any multihulls? The Corsair F24, would be an excellent choice for you. ;)

#5 ·
thanks for input

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm new to this site and have found several other threads since I posted this one that have been very helpful also.

The sailboat will typically be kept on a lift on a boathouse - nice size lake (by inland standards?) with greatly variable water level season to season (rain dependant) - thus the need for shallow draft. Lake is Y-shaped approx. 15 miles long on each of the three legs and approx. 7 miles wide where all three legs meet. With high winds the water can get pretty rough for a landlocked lake.

The trailering option would allow the ability to experience other locations with the same boat on a limited basis. I'm new to sailing and trying to find a new boat (not overwhelmed with repair issues) that will be a good entry level but will carry me into the next decade as my sailing skills improve. I'm not looking to do any racing - mainly pleasure cruising with long term option to do short cruising trips elsewhere.

Max

#6 ·
You might consider a smaller boat (21-23') with swing keel, much easier to explore different lakes with ability to use questionable ramps. Sail it for a season or two & learn what you want/need for that long term option.
That's what I'm doing anyway.

#7 ·
Max 38,
I am not able to spend 75k+ on a recreational activity. Saying this, the new Hunters and Catalinas are almost out of my price range. Like you I am trying to compair the two, I want to move between lakes and am looking more for a trailerable 'water camper' than a j-22.
I have looked at compaired these two boats on land, paper and my wife likes the interior layout of the Hunter better, I like the Catalina beter. I have no basis except what i've read online.

I keep telling myself this is supose to be my 'recreation'
I have not made a decision about the two. keep me informed about your choice and decision process.
Jody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.