SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Buyers market (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/31541-buyers-market.html)

Insails 04-18-2007 05:09 PM

Buyers market,Offshore 33??

It is such a buyers market it's hard to make a choice.When I first started looking at boats I got a little discouraged by how many were rot in the water at marinas...Now after almost a year on the "Great Boat Hunt" my criteria for a boat has not changed but the range sure has...I wanted a full or fin keel boat 25-28 ft with capabilities of limited off shore use. I wanted wheel steering and standing head room( I am short so 6' works)..Now after looking at scores of boats I realize its a buyers market and I can go up to aleast 35 foot and still single hand..So far the boats I have liked the most have been the 27 ft Cape dory , Alberg 30 ,Catalina 27(some will cringe at that!)and now today I went aboard an offshore 33 and man was it cool..oh boy!! why oh why does it have to be a buyers market???LOL Has anyone ever heard of an offshore 33? The owner says they were based in florida and the hulls are known for strength..The rig was an Island Packet cutter rig .The owner told me the boats came as a hull when ordered and the owner could choose the type rig..
Does anyone here know anything about these boats??:)

T34C 04-18-2007 06:13 PM

Buyers market means boats will generally sell for less $ so you can get more boat for your money. Boats will remain on the market longer which should let you take your time deciding. There will more boats on the market so you can ensure you get the best one for you. Am I missing something? You should be happy.

Insails 04-18-2007 06:20 PM

am happy,but see with more boats to look at and wait and watch its hard to buy one and I want to sail!!!..LOL.. I also am going to look at a Tartan 27, Monday,anything I should look out for?

scurvy 04-18-2007 06:36 PM

The Tartan 27' is an excellent boat, but they are showing their age now. A few things to look out for in the Tartan:

1. Gate valves should be replaced with ball valve (or something similar)
2. encapsulated chainplates (they may be rusty and a bear to get at!)
3. Leaky ports

Other than that, be mindful of the usual things that tend to plague the older boats out there, wet decks, aging engines, electronics,hoses, sail inventory, etc...

Sparkman & Stephens knew what they were doing and these are wonderful little boats. Good luck with your search!

tommyt 04-18-2007 06:38 PM

Careful in jumping up in size because you can afford the initial price. The initial price is just the beginning. Outfitting, refitting, new sails, slip fees, maintenance,etc. are not only more, but continue to rise.

The price of boats in the buyers market we have been in continue to fall. At the same time the number of slips continue to fall, and therefore the price of slips continue to go up fairly dramatically.

Good luck.

Insails 04-18-2007 06:47 PM

whats odd here is there is plenty of slips available..so have prices as low as 4 dollar a foot/month with water and limited power(so many days a week)

I think between Katrina and Ivan boating seems to have died along the hurricane bowl..

sailingdog 04-18-2007 08:19 PM

Insails-

The price of the slips may have dropped, but you more than make up for it in the increases in the price of insurance. :D

tommyt 04-18-2007 08:53 PM

Yea, that insurance does get big time down there. I know that the real estate market has gone to hell in Florida, but they don't make much more of that water front stuff either.
In the north, where we have to stretch our season to 6 months, the prices are definetely still going up. Even where the government controls the costs...still up 6-10% a year.

sailingdog 04-18-2007 08:59 PM

I think my insurance went up by all of five bucks.. :D

Insails 04-18-2007 09:12 PM

I will get a quote if I get the 33:)..have been quoted on a 27 footer less than 500/yr with state farm..they insured my cars the last 30 years..and one small noisy thing I thought was a boat:)..too loud