Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007

Anastasis is on a distinguished road
Tartan 37

I have the opportunity to go bigger and get a Tartan 37, 1978 vintage. Any opinions or past threads someone can supply? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Hey Chef -- where are you? Someone's calling you!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 04-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JeffH, cam or robert gainer could all comment on this issue fairly well. I'm not familiar with the T37 at all—having never seen one, sailed on one or owned one...
messer999 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-18-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
The Tartan 37 is a great boat! I've cruised and raced on one since the mid 80's. They have a nice balanced helm and are very responsive, handling a messy sea with ease. The interior is spacious and light in comparison to her big brother the T-41 which is very dark below deck. The cockpit is relatively big and has lots of storage under the seats.
The centerboard allows us to get into gunk holes that other boats her size have to stay clear of, it can be a bit tricky to lift when running, you have to winch it up very carefully between swells or it can get stuck, although I've only seen this happen once.
As a racer she does pretty well although she's becoming increasingly outgunned by the lighter boats. (She weighs roughly 16,000 pounds)
Properly trimmed she'll go 6-7+ to weather, and I've hit as much as 11 downwind but usually 8-10 with spin.
The construction is typical S/S, quality throughout the boat with a lot of attention function and making critical areas, easily, accessible. I went on board the 3700 at the Boston Boat show and I have to say I prefer the layout of the 37 much more.
The prices are starting to come down quite a bit, I've seen them listed from 65K-85k money well spent for a great boat.
Good luck.
Tartan 37 Sailing Association

Last edited by Sabre66; 04-19-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasis
I have the opportunity to go bigger and get a Tartan 37, 1978 vintage. Any opinions or past threads someone can supply? Thanks.
What would you like to know? Specific questions or just a general opinions?

Here's a couple of links you may find useful in your decision:

Tartan 37 Sailing Association
Tartan37.com • Index page
Welcome to the Tartan Owners website
Sailor's Sourcebook; Cruising World Boat Review: Tartan 37
boats.com - Boat Review/Test: Inside the Tartan 37

The centerboard and cored hull raise allot of concerns for people, but to my knowledge there has never been a serious problem with either. IMO they are a great value and you wont be disappointed with its sailing characteristics. The best is its ability to point so well.

Make sure the survey identifies any blister problems that might be (probably are) present and check the chain plates for leaking as well as the deck to hull joint.

Tartan's have great resources for information, parts, discussion groups, etc, and that was a significant factor in choosing our 37, and on a 1978 boat your going to need all of that, no matter what the build quality

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-20-2007 at 08:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to T37Chef For This Useful Post:
simplify (12-14-2013)
Old 04-26-2007

Anastasis is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great advice. I'd seen a few websites, but the directed search really helped. As it turns out, I won the auction and now I'm the happy owner of #131, "Anastasis." Now to ship all that boat crap from the East Coast to Guam for outfitting......
Old 04-26-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Very nice..

Have sailed them and almost bought one before I decided on a Canadian Sailcraft or CS-36. The T-37 has nice lines but I decided I did not want a cored hull so I chose the CS. Do a survey what ever you do!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-09-2007
sailingtakesmeaway

mgahagan is on a distinguished road
T3700 helm responsiveness

Hi,

I'm contemplating purchase of a newer 3700 for use on SF Bay. I'd like to understand if the helm is light and responsive and to what degree. Other option is C&C 1500 or 121 which should be really responsive.

thx
!

The Tartan 37 is a great boat! I've cruised and raced on one since the mid 80's. They have a nice balanced helm and are very responsive, handling a messy sea with ease. The interior is spacious and light in comparison to her big brother the T-41 which is very dark below deck. The cockpit is relatively big and has lots of storage under the seats.
The centerboard allows us to get into gunk holes that other boats her size have to stay clear of, it can be a bit tricky to lift when running, you have to winch it up very carefully between swells or it can get stuck, although I've only seen this happen once.
As a racer she does pretty well although she's becoming increasingly outgunned by the lighter boats. (She weighs roughly 16,000 pounds)
Properly trimmed she'll go 6-7+ to weather, and I've hit as much as 11 downwind but usually 8-10 with spin.
The construction is typical S/S, quality throughout the boat with a lot of attention function and making critical areas, easily, accessible. I went on board the 3700 at the Boston Boat show and I have to say I prefer the layout of the 37 much more.
The prices are starting to come down quite a bit, I've seen them listed from 65K-85k money well spent for a great boat.
Good luck.
Old 10-09-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mgahagan...welcome! If you are contemplating a new 3700 you should read the recent threads on Tartan quality and customer service in this series of boats...as well as the similar thread on the 121.
Start here:
New Tartan and C&C Shoppers Boat Show Show Checklist and here:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35760
Old 10-10-2007

7Psych is on a distinguished road
Just remember....There are TWO sides to every story.....