Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Is it just me or...?

As some of you may know, I don't now own a boat, but am 'Looking'. It amazes me how many people are trying to show a boat for sale, whether on Yachtworld or when I arrange go and look at one, and they can't even take even the time to empty the trash bin! The listing will say "Pride of Ownership". I have seen that splashed on so many brokerage adds it now means nothing. Come on, at the very least put the dirty dishes away, and wash the damn thing! I went to see a boat recently and upon stepping down the companionway, immediately turned around because of the funky smell coming from the cabin. I don't know if it was the bilges, or the dirty, food encrusted rags sitting in the sink. I would think that the broker would either tell the owner to clean it up, or at least do a quick tidy before wasting their time and mine taking me to see it! I haven't bought a boat before, having always sailed the 'family boat', but I am quickly learning that Brokers are even lazier than used car salesmen, and certainly less scrupulous! (if that could be possible).

There must be a lot of horror stories out there about brokers and 'Pride of Ownership' boats. Would love to hear some.
Old 04-20-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
As of last year, I refuse to deal with Brokers. I just sold my current boat private and bought my newer boat private. I tried using brokers, but the ones I used were full of empty promises, never returning my calls. This happened to me in several states and also in my own country of Canada. Seems they are only interested in selling expensive yatchs to make bigger commissions. I dealt with one salesman named Dick and that's excatly what he....was a real Dick! I wrote his boss a letter and cc'd him on it.

It's not just the boat industry. How many times do you call a store to get help or ask about a product and they don't know the answers. Or my latest, I've been waiting all week for 2 stores to call me back on solar panel prices and generator prices. I have the money and they won't take it. I don't understand.

This is why I'd rather be sailing!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey
I've been waiting all week for 2 stores to call me back on solar panel prices and generator prices. I have the money and they won't take it. I don't understand.
Are the solar panels from intertnet stores ? If not, I have a lot of lnks I could send you.

Paul
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

Hi Paul, the panels are from actual stores here in my city. Any info you have would be great. I'm not decided on a particular make yet, but I am moving towards the GE panel. Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I happen to like the Kyocera panels. In addidtion many cruisers seem to use that brand. Here is a link for some. Why the GE ? Have you seen them in use ?

You may also need mounting hareware, if so look here.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2007

sittingonthedock is on a distinguished road
I'm saying and thinking the same thing. Add the joy of finding a slip for iceing on the cake.
Old 04-20-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
My personal favorite was driving two hours to see an "immaculate" boat, only to be knocked over by the musty odor as soon as the hatch was opened, and having the broker explain that the boat was "owned by a smoker". Unless the guy was smoking algae, this made no sense.
Old 04-20-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Brokers and Used Boats

Hello,

There are some good brokers out there. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell the difference until you meet them in person. I am fortunate in that there are many many boat dealers within a few hours distance. So it wasn't that hard for me to separate the good from the bad.

After a month of going to see bad boats I started to ask the right questions - like is the inside of the boat clean and dry, or is there some mold or mildew?

Regarding selling a used boat, it certainly seems that most of them are just junk. That's why I chuckle when I read some of the posts on this site that instruct people to just forget about a particular used boat because you can always find a better, cheaper boat. It's not that easy!!

Good luck!
Barry

Old 04-21-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There are some good brokers out there.
Rumour has it there's a sasquatch too.
Quote:
I chuckle when I read some of the posts on this site that instruct people to just forget about a particular used boat because you can always find a better, cheaper boat. It's not that easy!!
Couldn't agree more. Too bad that it takes so long to separate the chaff from the grain. The market is crying for an honest-to-goodness professional brokerage.
Old 04-21-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

Paul - thanks for the links. Why GE? The reviews are good, reputable name and I need to decide on something. I'm looking at the GE 80. The K's are good as well and the all reviews are positive. I figure I'll go with the GE's and give my feedback.

How and where do you have yours mounted? I want to install mine on the stern rail, but how would I get the wire into the engine room. I have a centre cockpit, so it looks like I'll be drilling through the cabin and seal that up real good. Am I right?

Thanks,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.