Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2002

thomas s is on a distinguished road
what determines a coastal cruiser???

Sorry , I meant boats built in the sixtys and seventies.When you find a boat your interested in just start asking questions.Here or type your boat in question into google and you should get alot of information.Most boat brands have thier own owners groups where you can find alot of info , better yet you might get a chance to go out on one of these boats and decide for yourself if you like the way it sails. I still think the real question for you is what to do with the wife and dogs. thomas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2002

troyaux is on a distinguished road

Are you saying seventies boats for the price or for the heavier construction?

My wife makes a fine sailors when she gets her sealegs and we communicate well..
the dogs are very little 10Lbs and are like our children, they are paper trained and can go potty on the shower floor.. Yeah oh well it''ll work. In rough weather we put them in a small crate. I think they are actaully easier to deal with than kids as they never complain...
Old 01-30-2002

prrthead is on a distinguished road

I''m up in the NE corner....around Edenton and Elizabeth City. Sailing in the sounds and rivers mostly, but I''d like to head south eventually. I teach so I''m picturing summers south on my boat and eventually trips to Bahamas and such. Why do you ask? I know that the ICW is probably not the most sailable channel around these parts but is there something else about I need to know?
Old 01-30-2002

thomas s is on a distinguished road

Im in Wrightsville Beach and I constantly see people trying to learn to sail in the ICW running aground narrowly missing million dollar yachts when we have excellent inlets for the atlantic.
Old 01-31-2002

prrthead is on a distinguished road

Jeff-
I read you think S2''s are mediocre boats....any elaboration? One has come available (27'') and I''m interested in checking it out, but I could use any background info you may have. Will it hold up to what I want to do (see earlier posts)?
Old 02-13-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Cam (and everyone else) --

Do not open this!! I clicked on the link and got a message from my VirusScan software that this is a Trojan. It was cleaned from my computer but others may not be so fortunate.
Old 02-14-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Sailing from Florida to Mexico can be accomplished in pretty near any boat out there. You don't have a lot of cash and don't need it. A twenty five to thirty foot boat is all you want. Look for Cape Dory, Catalina, Beneteau, Paceship, C&C, CS, Alberg, Pearson, Columbia, Tartan, Com Pac, etc. When you are trying to figure out how the boat will sail - look at it's general shape. Rounder, fatter hull shapes do not move as smoothly through the water as thinner, longer ones. The skinnier a boat is, the less bouyancy it is going to have - so it wil slice through rather than go over waves. The flatter the bottom is, the more it is going to pound when the sea is rough. Spend a bunch of time looking at Hull shapes on the internet until you understand what an average, moderate displacement hull looks like - then buy a boat that has one. The voyage you are talking about is not a huge, perilous one. If you go about it intelligently, you'll be able to do it in just about any boat. Also - check out the West Wight Potter's website for more inspiration...
Old 02-14-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Don't open what ? Can't open it if I don't know where it is !!!
Old 02-14-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Sailormann--

There was a new post on this five-year old thread that showed a picture of a lion with a bird or something on its nose and was called "Funny Animal Pictures" or something like that. It had a link to see more such photos. I clicked on the link, found something that looked like product advertising, then immediately got a message from my Virus software indicating that a Trojan had been cleaned from my computer. The post was suspicious because it was to a five-year old thread, it was the poster's first post, and it had nothing to do with sailing. I contacted Cam by PM and he had it deleted. So that's why you can't open it. I posted my message not know how long it would take Cam to kill the post.