Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another problem is that adding area to the rudder shifts the underwater center of lateral resistance aft, and that can affect the ability to balance the sailplan of the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
you might want to sail it yourself for oh, a year or two before its decided that you need anything like that

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-26-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
eskfreedom.

You were the only one that found a negative, and it was on another board and second hand. Methinks that if this boat passes survey and your test sail, you should follow cardiac's advise and sail it for a few years to see if it is really a problem. I have not seen anyone here that actually knows if it is a problem, and it is a little early to try to do a pro's job of redesigning a rudder system.....that may not need to be redesigned.
Old 04-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
This might be a tough problem to address, if indeed it's a real problem on these boats...
I agree with this...it's strictly anecdotal at this point. It's a simple matter to arrange for a sail test on the crappiest day possible (or at least one that replicates the alleged problems with the steering) and to deliberately try to throw the boat around. It's very possible that a decent sailor won't have the problem, or will be aware how to alter trim to solve it.

Many otherwise good boats have a problematic point of sail. Certainly given the age and the price of the boat, if it's an endemic design flaw, I would move on.
Old 04-26-2007
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Having formerly owned a Keel centerboard for more than 2 decades, try this.

When on sea trial, set the vessel on a downwind course. Trim the sails to as neutral a balance as possible and slowly raise the centerboard. Stop at several points and note the difference in balance. One will see a marked improvment at some level of board trim. Many keel configured boat sailors forget that a centerboard does not only contribute windward ability but is also a great mechanism for trim and balance.

You may find that with the board all the way up she wants to go downwind or the best balance point is at a somewhat less point of trim.

Dewey
Old 04-26-2007

eskfreedom is on a distinguished road
Just got some good news. We got a approved for the loan. I am officaly getting scared. I have been dreaming for so long I cant believe its realy happing. Shure hope its the right boat!! Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 04-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck ESKfreedom..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-29-2007

Had the engine surveyed today. Things were pretty good concidering the age of the boat. The genny has an exhaust leak and there are gate valves on everything but other than that its in good shape. We will know for sure when we get the oil samples back
Old 05-07-2007

I spent the day with the owner rigging up the sails. Tuesday we are going on sea trials. Wensday we are doing the survey and Friday we close "after we negotiate the price". He wanted $99500 I offered $92 and he accepted but after thinking about all the money for fixing and updating. I am going to offer between 82-86 depending on the survey. Iam confident he will accepte. I am glad at least one of you guys knows what a wanker is or else we would be in trouble. Swabbot, I would verry much like to discuse your boat with you. So send me a private messege.
Old 05-07-2007
Telstar 28

Good luck with the sea trials and survey.

Telstar 28
New England