Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007

eskfreedom is on a distinguished road
Maple Leaf 42'

Hey guys, I need some advice. We went and looked at this boat today. YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale&

We put in an offer for 92k!!! We fell in love with her interior and everything. She has a centerboard not a full keel. I have no knowledge of the advantages and disadvantages of such a boat. She also has an adjustable backstay wich I know nothing about. We plan on sailing from the northwest south to Mexico for a couple years and then the south pacific. We are a family of four and she is perfect for our kids. My big worry is the lack of a keel. But the shoal draft sounds realy nice. I just wonder how she will do on the open sea. The reason I put an offer in is because it is a smoking deal at 92k. Up here anyways.
So do any of you guys Know anything about this boat or any info or opinions will be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2007

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given that you've got 33% of the weight of the boat as keel/centerboard, I doubt the boat has much in the way of stability issues. Keel-centerboard boats have made some amazing passages. The centerboard just allows you to get into shallower water than you would otherwise, while still giving you good windward performance.

The adjustable backstay is for helping control the shape of the sails. Increase the tension on the backstay to help flatten the sails to de-power them in heavier winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Looks like you found a Good Old Boat. It reminds me a bit of the Cal 2-46. Make sure the survey tests the hull for moisture/core damage. I would suspect you can expect a fair bit of rigging replacement and maybe an engine rebuild, depending on when it was last done. Also, some of the wiring looks a little "off-code"...maybe not bad, per se, but possibly due for an upgrade.

If stuff works, like that windlass, fine: But be prepared that in a 30 year old boat, the first five years of serious usage could reveal a fair number of "fatigue failures" due simply to age and the logic of replacing old gear with stuff that draws less power, is less subject to corrosion, etc. You'll want to pay particular attention to the engine's state of spares and good repair, and may wish to pop for a full and qualified inspection (compression, spare injectors, top-end rebuild, redo of the exhaust system). Basically, if it's original and around the engine, it's suspect after 30 years of salt air.

Jeez, she's not a light boat, is she? She weighs as much as my steel full keeler of comparative size (although you have a greater waterline).

But the logic of a centerboard pilothouse for coastal passagemaking is pretty well unassailable (no pun intended!). Make sure the mechanical aspect of raising and lowering the board.

You have a great deal to learn, but although I am unfamiliar with that particular boat model, the year 1977 augurs well for a tough and essentially OVERbuilt boat that is as safe as you want to sail her. Congratulations, and consider crewing a great deal before you tackle going offshore, particularly on your rather unforgiving coasts.
Old 04-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, you definitely want to make sure the centerboard pendant and pin are in good shape.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-24-2007

Just got a call from our broker and our offer was accepted!!! Kinda scary. If anybody has any info on this boat it would be great. Thanks
Old 04-24-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
little late for info on the boat NOW, eh?

get yourself a survey pronto, before you cut a check...
(jeez, tell me that you made the offer contingent on an acceptable survey, won't you?)

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-24-2007
Telstar 28

CP-

I hope so... i really do...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-24-2007

Survey what is that?? Just kidding. Of course you guys. I am not a complete moron. Having the engine/tranny surveyed and the oil tested to.
Old 04-24-2007

Here is a concern someone posted on another forum:
With their lean bows and excessively huge stern, I've heard that they are extremely hard to control downwind, in strong winds. Altho not as bad as the Maple Leaf 48, they can be a real workout of places like Cape Mendocino in a northerly. A friend helped sail a 48 from BC to Frisco and he said it was amost hopeless trying to control her downwind in strong winds and following seas.Have a good drogue ready when rounding Mendocino or Point Conception. Their total lack of hull balance and directional stability is abysmal.
Brent

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.