Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Can I beat a dead horse? Big problems with the build quality of Bene's, hence why their name often gets changed to "Bendy-Tow". You shouldn't be able to get the hull of a 40' boat to flex by pushing in on it, but you can with many Bene's. They look good at the dock, but the build quality is severely lacking. I'd say Catalina is a big step up with regards to build quality and the hardware. I honestly don't know anything about the Jenneau's.

CD - if you were crossing the Atlantic, would you still pick a Catalina over an IP? That full keel that's horrible at the dock is soooo nice for motion on the ocean.

And Hallberg-Rassy is on the same level as Cabo, Passport, Tayana, etc., not Bene.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2007
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
CD - thank you very much for the info.

Of the Catalina's it seems that the 400 is definetely the best bet.

There's a couple of 380's and 400's for sale up in MD.

We'll head up that way soon to check them out.

It would be interesting if someone with similar experiences on the Bene 393 vs 411 could provide som pros and cons about these models.

In the meantime - noaa tells me that it should be 75F and sunny this weekend so we'll take our little Hunter out for a spin on the bay.

Thanks again / Jorgen
Old 04-27-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

People have taken Catalinas across the ponds, but I would not do it. It is not the right boat. The larger catalinas (36 up) were really intended as island hoppers. The 380, 40, 42, 470, and 440 can make much longer runs. However, the things that make them a good island hopper make them a bad pond crosser. However, the likewise is true: Valiants are awesome at crossing oceans, but as I have said countless times before, would be at the bottom of my list for a island hopper.

Regarding the IP's - I will no doubt raise the ire of others when I say this: I would not take one across the ocean. I put it in the category of slow island hopper. I would take a LRC across the pond, mason, bristol, hylas, valiant, Pacific seacraft... but not an IP. The one thing I do like about the IP's is the shallow draft and protected keel... but that is about it. The IP's are very well marketed, but pricey for what you get. For the same money or less, buy a Caliber. I have been genuinely impressed with them. The only issue with the Caliber is some of the systems are very awkward to get to, espcially any runs under the master berth. I also think the location and size of the nav station is quirky. However, they are solid, heavy boats and would take a beating in my opinion. I think Matt (Soulsearcher??? Cannot remember his call name here) owns one.

All of this is just my opinion. I have not owned any of these. The only boats I know pretty well outside of the productions boats are Valiants. The only other boat I have spent much time offshore on is a Formossa.

- CD

PS I do not mean any dissrespect to IP owners. They have made more long distance runs than any Catalina and many (not all) of the owners love them. I just personally do not like the build out and do not trust them any more than a Catalina, maybe less. Just my personal opinion so no 'I hate CD-PM's' back to me please.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-27-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Dad,

Just wondering....why would Valiants (say, the V40 or V42) be at the bottom of your list for an island hopper, but up there for an ocean crossing? Cost?

Bill
Old 04-27-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hi Bill,

How are you? In the US or islands?

To answer your question, the V40 and V42 are small down below. VERY SMALL! THe cockpits are small. The salon is small. Wally/Valiant calls them the worlds best liveaboards, I dissagree. They may be the worlds best passagemakers, but not liveaboards. They are awesome boats with a lot of thought put into safety and longevity (and maintenance, incidentally), but they are cramped down below compared to most production boats.

Cost is not the factor.

These are my opinions only. I know a bunch of people on Valiants that love them and think they are fine. Just my opinion. I cannot remember, but do you have a V-40?

- CD

PS I have to run in a second, so if I do not resond for a while, that is why. Hope you are doing well. Take care.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bill-

Just remember the traits that make for a good coastal cruiser and island hopper—generally don't make for a good bluewater boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CD...I note your comments about improvements at Hunter which have also been made elsewhere. One thing that I would say is that the technical comments about improvements in quality made recently have been made in the context of how improved a COUPLE of new boats are (I believe the H49 was one of them and another in the 38-39 ft. range). I have seen nothing about changes in construction or techniques being made on existing models so I would be very careful about making blanket statements on their improvement. I would take improvement in quality to mean ONLY on their brand new models unless someone can point me to information that says substantive changes have been made on the construction of other models as well...with specific changes rather than marketing department hype.
I DO believe from what I've read that the new models are indeed an improvement...but I am skeptical about any overall quality improvements across the line.
Old 04-27-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Personally, I don't like Hunters because the ones I have sailed on feel like you're riding on an empty rum bottle.

When we went to look at one to buy, yeah I know, the dealer was so enthusiastic about how the rig got the boom out of the way so you didn't hit your head. As he got on board, he promptly hit his head on the SS arch. He didn't get the sale.

Vaya con Dios
Old 04-28-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
CD Hope you and family are doing better still holding you all in our thoughts.
I don't know much about catalinas just what I've read.
When I was boat shoping I got down to the caliber and IP(Wife nixed the freya). I went with the Caliber for the reasons you stated. basically the IP is a nice boat but I think alot of the price is just name driven. It hought the Caliber was built tougher and the underbody and numbers were very close to the valiant. as far as comparison to a catalina in physical deminsions its closer to the 380 than anything.
The fourty LRC is the same hull as the old 38 caliber with the transom modified to get the swim step adding the additional 1.5 feet.

I wouldnt say our boat is tight down below but from looking at photos of the 380 I dont think it has near the interiior volume. the quarter berth is the sea berth One way in(feet first) your not going to get rolled out of it the pullman is the anchored or docked berth. with the table down you cant get thrown more than two three feet side to side. The aft head is the catch all wet locker. its right at the base of the companion way. The nav station is tight but I prefer it that way It has walls on three sides so stuff can't go far.
and it has a port right behind your head that opens and you can talk to the person on watch or peek through it at the radar on night watches.
We have storage out the wazoo. I wish the Lazz was a little bigger. but thats mostly from being spoiled at work I can walk around my engines you dont crawl anywhere. The finnish on our boat isnt awe inspiring but the fit is good and it durable. this has changed on the newer modles they are way nicer Inside.
BF I like that story, a little humbling of a sailsman is a good thing
As far as hunter goes I fished a few luhrs boats and I wasnt impressed and Ill just leave it at that.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 04-28-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Matt. I like your boat. I was really impressed by the one I saw at Strictly Sail. It was all by its lonesome in the corner, not getting much attention. But once I got below, I could tell it was a solid build, and well designed. The verdict is still out on the nav table. But, I would feel safe crossing some big seas in the LRC. And it was pretty comfortable too.

Vaya con Dios