Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2002

capedorian is on a distinguished road
Feedback wanted

I am in the process of ''upsizing'' and ''up speeding'' from a Cape Dory 25. I am looking for feed-back on my short list of candidate boats(not listed in any particular priority): 1. Cape Dory 28
2. Olson 30
3. Albin 28
4. Evelyn 32 (C&C built)
5. J-29

I realize these are all very different boats and my intended purpose is performance cruising and some off-shore (PHRF) race work. I have found that I am happy as a clam in a pipe berth on an IOR N/M boat, so ammenities
aren''t my priorities..Sailing capability is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Feedback wanted

That is a wild list of candidates.....
1. Cape Dory 28:
Whatever else you can say about the Cape Dory 28 (shippy, attractive and comfortable interior etc.) I don''t think anyone would mistake this for either a performance cruiser and off-shore (PHRF) raceboat. They really do not do well under PHRF. There was one that was raced locally in the beer can series. The guy had some good sailors aboard but could not sail to its rating. The boat seemed to have half a chance in winds around 10 or 12 knots but in lighter winds anything more modern would just plain walk away. In heavier stuff, upwind they seemed over powered and so lighter more easily driven boats that could get by with a smaller sail plan would walk away. Off the wind in heavy air where modern boats could surf or plane the Cape Dory also seemed to suffer. These are nice traditional boats but they really don''t make it as race boats. As perfromance cruisers they also do not do all that well. I cruised with a friend who had a Cape Dory 28. No two ways about it, the CD 28 was more gracious down below than my Laser 28 but it was really hard work for him (even motoring) to reach places that we routinely cruised to under sail.

2. Olson 30;
First generation ULDB. These are very fast boats but they really take a lot of skill to sail to their ratings. While beautifully crafted they are very spartan down below.

3. Albin 28:
Good performance cruiser withh simple but comfortable layout. Probably a pretty good boat for short offshore jaunts but not really an offshore cruiser. Also probably not very competitive under PHRF.

4. Evelyn 32 (C&C built)
Also first generation ULDB''s. Like the Olsen 30 these are very fast boats but they really take a lot of skill to sail to their ratings. Not so well crafted as the Olsen and even more spartan down below.

5. J-29:
These are well rounded boats that sail well in a wide range of conditions. They are big 29 footers and so take a pretty big crew to race. The masthead rigged boats are generally most competitive. Some had inboard engines but most had outboards. The outboard boats were more competitive but not as nice for cruising. They have reasonable but somewhat Spartan accommodations.

If you don''t mind I would like to suggest couple more boats for your list that are suitable for your goals:

J-30: These are popular one design boats in a lot of areas. I really do not like racing these boats as they are a little like kissing your sister in terms of real excitement. Still they are good sailing boats with nice accommodations.

Kirby 30:
Neat boats. They sail well and have a comfortable but simple interior similar to a J-29 but with a diesel engine and plaid upholstery. Again try to find one that has been converted to a masthead rig if you live in a light air venue or want to race MORC some day.

Lindenberg 28: These are nice well rounded designs. They are quite fast and really fun boats to sail. Not the most comfortable boat down below but really good PHRF racers.

Laser 28:
Light and fast. These Farr designed racer/cruisers are a great balance between racer and performance cruiser. They were very inovative boats in their day but they are no longer leading edge raceboats. Most have diesel engines. I had one for 14 years and really loved the boat.

S2 9.1: These offer a really nice balance between being a good race boat and having reasonably comfortable accomodations. Also good MORC boats. Not the best built boats. In particular check for deck core problems, keel bolt and mast step problems.

Santana (Wavelength 30): Innovative race boats that were way ahead of their time. Pretty spartan but quite roomy. Quite fast for their rating.

Good luck
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.