Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Question Just Bought Ericson 27

I finally decided on a Ericson 27 offer was excepted last week sea trail in 1-2 weeks. I am going to install a backstay adjuster becasue it has a split backstay and I want to maximize head sail shape.

I have a another rigging question. I am trying to decide If I should install a boomkicker with boomvang a rigid vang or just a boomvang/preventer. I would like to get rid of the topping lift (is this a good idea?) Do I even need a kicker or boomvang with a cabintop mainsheet traveler? This boat will just be for crusing. Help before I sepnd more money. All ideas and or other comments on the ericson 27 welcome.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats on the new to you boat.

Don't get rid of the topping lift. If you ever break the main halyard, you'll be wishing you still had the topping lift, since it can substitute for the main halyard.

Most boom kickers and rigid vangs say something about supporting the boom for long periods of time with a topping lift or halyard. Whether you need a boom kicker or boomvang has little to do with the fact that the traveler is cabin top mounted. The boom vang is used to help keep the sail shape, especially on a run or reach... by holding the boom down. The mainsheet can do this, but not as effectively, since doing so on those points of sail will compromise sail trim.

If you're going to be cruising mostly short handed, I would recommend you install a boom brake, rather than a boom vang. It will work in much the same manner as a boom vang, but also increase your safety, by reducing the possibility of getting hit by the boom at high speed in an accidental gybe or tack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-06-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Great advice Think I will install my soft boomvang (already have it from other boat) with a Dutchman BoomBrake with the shackle so I can attach the Vang to it. Just need to rig the brake back to the cockpit. Does the brake even need to be rigged back to the **** pit can't it just be tensioned off on the stanchion base and left alone?
Old 05-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Zaldog-

You will want to run the brake line back to the cockpit. It is something that you may want to adjust depending on how strong the winds are and such. I know, since I have a Dutchman BB500 on my boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.