Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Brokers

Me: Looking at the pictures, it appears there's a significant amount of discoloration of the sole in front of the starboard settee. Was this due to a leaking chainplate or portlight? If so, was it fixed?

Broker: It's not a perfect boat, but the stain doesn't seem to have affected the boat's ability to go on long cruises [paraphrased]

Me: nevermind...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... you expected something different from the broker???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-09-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
So I'm an optimist...
Old 05-09-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Most brokers are individuals who were fired from used car dealerships for poor ethics...they lie, they cheat, they steal and it's high time they started regulating the industry.
Old 05-10-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
I recently went through the boat buying process. It took a long time and I spoke with quite a few brokers. While some were very knowledgeable, professional, and friendly, the fact is that the majority of the brokers I spoke with were unfamiliar with the boat - both the type in general and the boat in question - and unwilling to offer substantive information.

The common phrase was, "Put in an offer then you can have it surveyed." They must teach that in broker school. Do they really think I should drop $1000 in fees and travel costs just to find out the basics?

Some of my favorite broker quotes:
- Boats under $100,000 don't keep maintenance records.
- Heck, just sail her for five years and cut her up and take her to the junk yard. At this price, you can't lose.
- There shouldn't be any blisters because this boat is solid glass below the waterline.
- Those aren't actually blisters. Those are repaired blisters (about 500 of them)
- If I had to rate this boat on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it's about a...ummm...10. (the boat was a disaster)

I was fortunate in that I was ultimately able to buy through a private party.

Old 05-10-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
There really are good brokers out there. Like in life, there are also the Bas****.

The broker I worked with told me on many occasions (once when I even liked the boat), "DONT BUY IT! I DON'T LIKE THIS BECAUSE..."

Just depends why they are there: To make a sale or because they love boats and want to help.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-10-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Some brokers I've been involved with I would trust to take the cuban to dinner.

Some, I check for my fingers after I shake their hand.

3 yrs ago, I did a survey on a tired tub that I was able to pull wet, rotted wood out from under the hull deck joint with my hand.

this spring, I was called by a couple that was new to sailing and had driven over 200 miles to take a look at this SAME boat. Because I live 6 miles from the marina, I drove over. Before I went to the dock, I pulled the General manager out of his office (this guy was the sales guy from 3 yrs ago) and we walked to the boat. I met the people, and then turned to the general manager and politely asked him to tell the people the condition of this boat.
Wasn't pretty

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 05-10-2007
phallo 1, Gustav 0

phallo153 is on a distinguished road
NOLA looks like we churn some of the same mud.

My teenage son commented to me after we were shown a boat - "Dad, that guy's playing you".

This was my first boat so don't want to paint the industry with a broad brush, but I wasn't impressed at all with this particular outfit, and in the future don't think I'd ever contact a boat's listing broker again.

Last edited by phallo153; 05-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Man i can tell you a story that happened last month. we had put in an offer on what we thought was our dream boat and it was accepted. I wont go into details but some highlights. the broker met us at the yard for survey (so we thought). as soon as we handed him our down payment check, he said he needed to move his car for the crane to pass. he jumped in his Benz and took off!

Surveyor: i wouldnt put this boat in the water without a bottom job.
Broker: theres still some paint left on it, cant you see its blue?

Surveyor: all steering cables, shafts and joints need to be lubed before sea trial.
Broker: just get a can of wd40 and spray it good, itll be fine.

Boat Yard: if you buy this boat, it'll have to be moved outta the yard within 24 hours
Broker: if you buy it ,we'll find you a slip dont worry.

We came home boatless, dissapointed and disillusioned and it only costs us about $1100. (680 mile round trip=gas,food,hotel,surveyor).
we're still recovering from that one. wife wants me to hold off on boat shopping for awhile and just enjoy our little 25 footer.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 05-10-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate
We came home boatless, dissapointed and disillusioned and it only costs us about $1100. (680 mile round trip=gas,food,hotel,surveyor).
we're still recovering from that one.
That was the best $1,100 you ever spent! You did the right thing - you had a good surveyor. It really isn't a matter of whether the listing broker is good or bad - I know some that are crookeder than a dog's hind leg. It just makes sense to PAY for independent advice. That goes for buying a car, house, or a boat.