Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2002

goshawk is on a distinguished road
Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

Hi
Im new to this forum and am in process of buying the next boat.

Currently Im negotiating price on a 1984 Tayana 42 Center cockpit that I will live aboard and use for crossing the Gulf of Mexico for winters in Mexico/Belize/Costa Rica. I like the layout below decks reasonably well. Another plus for this boat is that she is one of the T 42 CC''s that was built without teak decks.

The negative points are as follows. She has a Perkins 4-108 with 4700 hours on it. Secondly I do not know anything at all about the designing Naval Architect-Robert Harris. Third- in talking to the broker that sold my last boat for me he has reservations about Tayana quality.

Im trying to find out whether there are endemic problems with Tayanas and particularly with the 42 CC.

Any help or comments would be deeply appreciated.

Warmest Regards
Carr McCormack
KF4VAR
praco@mindspring.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

The Tayana 42 is a respected design. They offer reasonable performance for a boat of their weight, good offshore capability, and a high finish level. Robert Harris is a respected designer best known for his Vancover series. The V42 is generally seems to be considered the most successful of that series.

Some things to watch for. Some of the V42''s featured teak decks. Teak decks are generally more maintenance and likely to be a very serious problem as the boat ages. They also raise the center of gravity (reducing stability and increasing rolling) on a boat that does not have an extremely high displ/ballast ratio.

I believe that some of the early V42''s had black iron tanks which would be close to the end of their useful lifespan. Tayana allows a lot of customization of their interior layouts and some of these are biased toward being more comfortable as live-aboards which results in some compromises such as a lack proper seaberths, front loading ice boxes, and wider cabin soles which can be quite dangerous at sea. You need decide how you will use the boat and look at the boat from that perspective.

Generally, the aft cockpit boats are thought to be the better set up for both live aboard and offshore work since the double end limits the room for a comfortable aft cabin while pushing the cockpit foward into prime real estate for the main salon.

Some of these boats had a 30 hp yanmar engine which is really a litle small for a nearrly 30,000 lb boat. The more common 45 to 50 hp Perkins seem better suited to the weight of the boat.

Good luck
Jeff
Old 02-03-2002

goshawk is on a distinguished road
Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

Jeff
The Tayana I am looking at luckily does not have the teak decks. I had a 42'' John G. Alden with teak decks and wont do that again.
I agree with you about the b/d ratio of the 42--- also I am deeply concerned about the black iron tanks. I had friends with a Hans-Christian and saw them go through nightmares because of the same sort of tank problem.

This Tayana has a 4-108 with 4700 hours on it so Im concerned about high engine hours as well.

I somewhat like the center cockpit because of the privacy it provides for the master stateroom aft.

At this point I have serious reservations about this boat. Intended use is fulltime liveaboard with winters spent in Belize or Costa Rica and summers spent on the Gulf Coast. She has been very well maintained with lots of good gear and electronics but.....

I also have looked at a Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster but.......
Thanks for the info
Carr McCormack
Old 02-04-2002

Lahr is on a distinguished road
Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

A Tayana 42 cemter cockpit was on my short list in 2000 when I ended up with a 1985 Pearson 422. The teak decks in particular scared me off, but I considered this a good offshore boat. Maybe the 4700 engine hours, tank concerns, together end up in the post-survey price that you can live with. One way to throw the price of a replacement engine (and other major upgrades) in the financing package is to buy the boat with
the replacement engine included in the selling price, with your deposit enough to cover this seller up front cost--you can go on the contract with the boatyard replacing the engine to give the seller security against this higher price transaction. If this is a good boat that just needs a replacement engine for a serious offshore life plan, you have lots of options. good luck! Jack
Old 03-04-2002

lashe is on a distinguished road
Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

I sailed to Burmuda on a Tayana 42 and had some questions about its integrity. I have a Bristol 41.1 for sale. I am the original owner. I have sailed extensively in this boat and would rate it much higher overall than the Tayana. Besides, without question it has maintained its value better than a Tayana.
Old 05-26-2012

lewharve is on a distinguished road
Re: Tayana 42 Center Cockpit

i just blew off a cal 39 deal because the seller was going cheap the fix. a broker I talked to said never let the seller fix anything
Old 05-26-2012

lewharve is on a distinguished road

what's the deal on the bristol 41 were is the posting
Old 05-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Post from 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.