Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
hey now, wait a darn second!!!

a decent 27 catalina 1976-1979ish, in DECENT shape will run you 5-7k. If they're selling it for less, theres a darn good reason. If they want more, they really don't want to sell it.

I agree with the repair issue. Unless you're skilled enough to be able to get a job doing fiberglass, you really don't want to tackle it.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 05-12-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Read my post here about my recent boat buying experience and thoughts. I had about the same budget as you and opted for a 24' in decent condition instead for a variety of reasons. (slip cost, ongoing maintence, type of sailing I do, etc) I actually think the boat purchase for that budget range is more about how much the boat is going to cost you every year. A friend of mine recently bought a Cape Dory 28, and it's a darn fine boat. However, we compared costs of new sails, costs of winches, etc and his boat seems to be generally 3 times more expensive than mine. He bought his for long distance cruising, I bought mine for daysails and short weekend cruising. Mine is more fun to SAIL in the sound, his is sort of, ah, hmn, stately... But of course out in the open ocean I would want to be on his boat for sure.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...tml#post125526

Last edited by tenuki; 05-13-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2007

nightowle is on a distinguished road
I bought our 1975 O'Day 27 late last summer for $7800 but that included a quicksilver inflatable with 3hp engine along with the bargain. The PO left everything on board including tools, loads of lines, anchors, kitchenware, pfd's (even one for the dog!). It's a well equipped boat that was in sail away condition and mechanically well cared for. The finish is oxidized and gel wearing thin on the nonskid, and brightwork needed some TLC. So we sailed her well until the season ended, and I've spent many hours sprucing her up. She'll look grand as we start this season (as soon as the upholsterer finishes with re-doing the cushions) and I finish the Poliglow application. I found her on Craigslist, which is what I recommend for boats in this price range. I have since continued looking at the classifieds, etc. and yes, based on the pictures and descriptions there is a LOT of junk out there, but turning over the rocks......you'll find one. And definitely consider an O'Day. I like the performance and the layout with plenty of room for a 27 footer. The only thing missing on this baby is roller furling. Oh well....can't have everything on a first boat! Good luck.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 05-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenuki
But of course out in the open ocean I would want to be on his boat for sure.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying...tml#post125526
You're right. People get very fixated on hitting several "sweet spots" with a single boat, when they should perhaps consider the intended use (in your case, daysailing and "sail camping") and buy a SIMPLE boat with good sailing abilities in fair weather. They will get more use out of it and will save money than by getting a bigger boat at first.

If their priorities change, it is a simple thing to sell the smaller boat and to buy a bigger one. I know people who have used this "ladder" approach to go from complete novice in a 22 footer to 40 foot offshore cruiser in 10 years and three boat sales. The constant was that they were sailing each boat to its maximum capacities much of the time in order to speed learning and their own acquisition of skills.

Others go too big, too soon, and spend too much time on maintenance and repair and upgrades...and forget to sail.
Old 05-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle
The only thing missing on this baby is roller furling. Oh well....can't have everything on a first boat! Good luck.
That's an excellent starter boat, and if you are a weekender/daysailer, probably a good finishing boat, too.

I advise people to look at decent boats that are 30-35 years old. This is premised on the idea that they've had one boat-proud owner who bought it at some expense at the age of 35-45 and is now 70-85 and is giving up sailing. You get the benefit of single-owner care and maintenance, and frequently a lot of decent gear and sometimes excellent "homebrewed" improvements as well.

But a lot of these deals are found on boat club corkboards, not online.
Old 05-14-2007

nightowle is on a distinguished road
Yes, Valiente, I'm very happy with it. And based on further looks through Craigslist etc. (just to have some fun lurking around), I think I got fairly lucky. There's plenty of junk there -- but you have to keep turning over rocks wherever they may be. Marina and club boards are a good bet.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.