Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2002

selkiecapt is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

Well me wife and I are looking at buying a steel catch that needs lots of tlc. The hull has been sounded and reads on average 45-4.9. The boat needs so much work but we are willing to put it in along with some hard cash. $82000 will make it ours. I find the stories of the strength of steel at sea and availablity of welders worldwide a plus. However, finance companies tend to shy awy from steel hulls as well as insurance co.s It appears we will have to buy the boat without financing ie home equity. any and all comments much wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

I take a different view point than most! so take it with a grain of SaltWater!60'' is about 20'' more than most couples should attempt,unless its set up like a Dashew''s boat!Most steel boats I''[ve seen except for
Irving Johnson''s 92''Yankee(I did a circle on it at age 12 ) are under rigged.Not enough sail area to sail in winds under 18 to 27 knots.92% of the time you will be dealing with winds under 14 knots.Will she sail under those conditions?I truly do not know?do You???
RIGHT NOW!! the earth is going through one of its change cycles!!I would venture to say
that 5 to 10 years from now;the pilot charts of yesterday will be as valuable as Tits on a Boar!How will your boat meet the unceartainties of tomorrow??ENUF SAID!!
Old 02-04-2002

thomas s is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

Give the guy some credit . I dont think he was asking you if 60 ft was to much to handle.Hopefully he has already decided that. Hey in five to ten years the ozone hole is going to be so big we will all be fried anyways.
thomas
Old 02-04-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

Ahoy captain, first mistake you will be making is using somebody''s elses cash certianly not hard cash. Equity loans such as the one you suggest with your primary assets as collateral my leave you with a steel house in a boatyard . Next is the fact that altough the strength of steel is remarkable so is the initial preperation and daily maintenance. Essentially you have a slow melting sailing fizzy tablet in the sea of mounting intrest rates. Sounds to me like you may have misjudged your wife as well but not to worry send me some pictures I might be able to make her an offer as a galley slave in me ship. Ahoy thomas OZONE? What you just fall out of your tree ? Forgot to hug when you type? Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-05-2002

thomas s is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

Hey Pirate, A tree hugger I am not. I did not get my point across. You know we were supposed to blow up new years 99, global warming, the ice bergs are melting,etc. etc. 8888 send me whatever charts you have.
thomas
Old 02-13-2002

DirtManly is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

Hello Capt Jon,
A steel hull boat is an excellent choice. Steel is a more popular choice than you think at first glance. If you look around you''ll see that for over fifty foot just about all commerial boats you see will be steel. The reason for that is you can buy good steel anywhere and with a reasonable amount of practice most anybody can be a good welder. Mind you you''ll need to practice on scrap, not on your new hull.

When you walk on a steel boat it doesn''t make the boat move around because your weight is not significant compared to the weight of the boat. This makes for very comfortable motion on the water. It also has a tendency to be a bit slower than boats with the same waterline.

If this boat was built by someone like Thomas Colvin or Merritt Walters/Rover Corp. or any of the professional outfits it''s probably OK. If it was homemade i would inspect it alot closer, so as not to purchase something of a learn to weld project. Not to say that homemade boats can''t be built correctly, because they can. Go on the inside and try to find seams and inspect the welding.

Welding is fairly simple if it looks really good it probably is, if it looks rough it probably isn''t. I know alot of people that will tell you that there welds may not look good but they will hold and that is unmittigatted hog wash. If a weld doesn''t look excellent it is not. It should look like a roll of dimes laying down with very even simetrical spacing.

Also finding financing for any homemade boat is difficult. If you look around you''ll find, numberous Colvins, a few Walters, fewer Topper Hermanson''s, etc, available for sale that you shouldn''t have any problem getting financing for. You may have to look around for your financing, but no one buys a commercial steel boat and pays cash, it doesn''t make good business sense. So there has to be some loan vendors that will loan on steel boats. You might want to call some of the boat yards that build out of steel and ask them were you could obtain financing.
Good Luck
Dirt
Old 02-13-2002

buying a 60'''' steel

thomas s: send me an e-mail so I can contact you directly about weather info:
Old 02-14-2002

Bobola is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

BigRed56, Daily maintenance on a slow melting sailing fizzy tablet?????
Ever hear of corten steel and 2 part epoxy paint????????
Steel boats rust from the inside out. If they are built right and easy access to all areas of the bilge, the boat should last for many, many years.
Old 02-14-2002

buying a 60'''' steel

Bobola: no disrespect to you or your comments,but what is your background?I do not find any info to give me a clue about
how serious I should take your comments!Try joining and putting up some info on the members directory page!
Old 02-14-2002

dhartdallas is on a distinguished road
buying a 60'''' steel

Ahoy, dancy: I refer you to ussailing.org, member #303497B, to my age, 58, my previous employment as a fluid engineer, then 30 years in management, including 15 years living over seas, drilling oil wells in the ocean. Finally, I refer you to Webster''s Dictionary, the meaning of muse. I also remind you it is an open forum and we are all free agents. If you don''t like my sharing, don''t read it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.