Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk
Sailindog..

This is one of my concerns, since as we all know, boat equipment ain't cheap, nor is the labor. The Dufour has I believe a Signet Marine 4000 which they no longer support. The 3 instrument clusters are mounted just above the companion way on what looks to be a fiberglass mold that would appear it was designed for them. The speed trasnponder needs to be replaced, as does the nav station panel and cluster on deck. The seller says that staying with the Signet brand will be more economical since the newer version will easily be replaced, though am sure the clusters MUST be different sizes, etc. Am going to check with a marine electronics guy nearby to confirm.
Many instruments use similar sized display heads, so that may not be a problem. Same with speed transducers. I've not used the Signet brand. Wiring is a big concern... and if you want to avoid it.. you could always go with the TackTick gear, which eliminates most of the wiring.

Quote:
He also has the original stereo with a tape player that needs to get upgraded, bottom paint, cable re-connected to the original autohelm, luff tape sewn on some of the new sails, new hatch plexiglas, etc. He has replaced all standing/running rigging, 6 brand new Lee sails (he claims Lee is the same sail mfg that makes all sails for less money.. know anything about that?). Trans was was reblt recently, diesel serviced and he had the cooling system modified on the Volvo Penta which seems like it works well.. Boat is clean, tidy and I didn't see any gel coat spider cracks, plumbing problems, or other issues.. I'm no expert though.
The stereo is not a big deal generally... and not very expensive... less than $200 unless you go really high end. The bottom paint is IMHO a maintenance issue...and something that isn't really avoidable. My question is if the sails are new, why do they need a luf tape sewn on some of them??? IMHO, that should have been done when they were made. Something is fishy there IMHO. I'd also ask to see the paperwork and maintenance records...

You are going to get a survey, and make the offer contingent on survey, sea trial and such...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2007

jontalk is on a distinguished road
Dufour 35

Yes to the survey, by all means.

As to the sails, he said that his research uncovered the fact that sail lofts like North Sails (SF Bay area shop) and others all take the measurements, quote a price and then send the order to an Asian sailmaker who manufactures them all for them, while they add on thousands for the brand and logo sewn on the sail.. This wouldn't surprise me, as it's common place in many consumer electronics, appliances, etc. As to WHY the luff tapes weren't sewn in originally, it could have to do with him switching to a Profurl furling system which had different luff requirements. He said that the head sails also have a foam leech that aids in furling leaving a more oval shape than the tight, round shape on most furled sails. Whatever..

He seems pretty forthright, has been sailing for over 30 years (he claims) and is a dentist, so he ain't hurting for money.. My goal would be to survey it and see if I can steal it from him for around $25K or so. Nice boat though..

Thanks for all your great help..

Jonathan
Old 05-14-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Jon

Having bought, enjoyed and subsequently sold a few "non standard" boats in recent years (and again currently owning another) I can tell you that we were able to sell them without great difficulty.

The key is to buy quality and do the upkeep to keep them looking great and in good condition all round. A discriminating and knowledgeable buyer will see past the "no name" and recognize quality.

You can generally buy such boats at a considerable discount, so your reselling price can reflect your reduced initial investment too. So you end up with a) a solid boat in a market of questionable "brand names", b) at a price that is usually more attractive than the asking for the "Brands" in poorer condition.

We owned a Choate 40 for 12 years, not exactly a household production boat. Upgraded and maintained it well, and sold for very close to our initial purchase price 12 yrs earlier. While this does not include running costs and upgrades, it's still not bad and we had 12 great years with her.

If she surveys well and you like how she looks/handles, go for it!
Old 05-15-2007

frank31 is on a distinguished road
I had a 1978 Dufour 27 and it was a very good boat. I was impressed by the quality of the interior and the overall fit and finish. Of course a survey is a valuable second opinion.
Old 05-15-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you are going to need to spend about 4K to update - not bad - unless you start looking in the 75K plus range you're not likely to find anything really "turnkey".

Lee is a well-known sailmaker, been around since the earth cooled, they do journeyman's sail - not bad quality but nothing state-of-the-art either. The other lofts don't make all their sails overseas - the higher tech laminate ones are usuallly made in the US or Britain, on molds.

If the boat is in good shape and it's only 25K - how can you go wrong...
Old 05-16-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Luff tapes missing?? Then how or what was the luff finished off with?

Miscommunications with sail lofts are common, things often don't get made up right unless someone is paying attention and checking them all the way, whether they are made locally or overseas.
Old 05-20-2007

Columnist is on a distinguished road
Dufour continues to build a fine quality boat today as they did in the 70's and 80's. If re-sale is a concern, just take a look on the popular web sites and review what they are selling for and how many Dufour boats are for sale around the world. Ask a broker to check what they have sold for as well and you will be impresssed.

On the East Coast, there is a large Dufour Dealer that just represents and services Dufour Sailboats covering a large chunck of the country.. They are a good bet to sell your boat for you as well at the appropiate time.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"On the East Coast, there is a large Dufour Dealer "
Who's that?
Old 10-24-2009

neemo is on a distinguished road
sounds a nice boat,. i own a 1973 model, its brillant, horses for coarses, you buy what you like and can afford, not something out of your price range, and dont use it, we see so many of them , this boat will re sell, there a sort after cheap big safe boat and live aboards in the med love em.et it bought, its cheap at 25 usd, get the survey, away you go,all the best brian,mallorca based.
Old 10-24-2009

PierreMundo is on a distinguished road
Ha Neemo!
Pls check Tread dates, it's almost 2.5 years old. So he probebly looking for his next boat.