Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Not a problem. Does not bother me. Boats are so expensive you better get one you love, up front.

I have just been around a while (around boats a while, I am not a Sailnet-Old-Fart...), and have seen more boat projects that start off with the right intentions and end up a nightmare. Got one sitting 3 slips down right now!

Reminds me, there is a custom boat for sale in my marina. It was made in a major yard, but I cannot remember which one. However, I have been on the boat personally and it is not a POS (at least not an apparent POS). Full keel, heavy tub. Classic lines. It is in Texas so it would have to be shipped. It does have the classic/junk look to it. I will see if I can find it on yachtworld.

Any interst in shipping?

- CD

PS I have no affiliation with Valiant so could not care less if you buy it from them... just know Wally is selling it.

AHHH!!! Here it is, found it: Cedar Mills Marina & Resort (Gordonville, TX)

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2007

pdxsailor is on a distinguished road
CD,

just to let you know, a CT 41 is more or less a Formosa 41/Island Trader 41/Hardin 41/Mermaid 41 and so on. the CT was built in a, from my understanding, well known yard in Taiwan, but all the others were built in Taiwan yards as well. after talking w/owners of these boats and looking at other forums regarding these boats it is my belief that you need to look at each one individually as there are just too many discrepancies between each one to make any blanket assessment about this "type" of boat. that one in texas is good looking boat though.

-matthew
Old 05-16-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Matt,

That was why I pointed it out to you!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-16-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
As others have said, get another surveyor. This one is very unprofessional.

There's nothing in the pix to give one pause, except for the forementioned propane hot water heater. I'd remove that in a flash, before a flash or a leak puts you out of business for good. I know, I know...some people swear by them. But some people have been killed by them, too. Why take a chance?
Figure $1,000 to $1,500 for removal and a new quality hot water heater installation.

Have you seen this boat yourself? If not, you need to before going much further. The pix, though small and not plentiful, give the impression of an older boat which has been pretty well cared for. The equipment list also suggests that whoever did the choosing was not looking for the cheapest way out.

Nothing wrong with spruce masts. They were all there was before aluminum masts came along about 30 years ago. They just require some maintenance; the epoxy coating may have helped in that regard.

It might not take too much effort or expense to get this boat in shape to make the trip to Portland. And, I agree with you 100% about the looks: no way you can compare this boat to a BendyToy or other plastic bottle of that gendre :-)

Bill
Old 05-17-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
PDX,

I can't answer why the surveyor flaked out on you. Not a good thing though.
I have been to boats where I've given it a once over, pointed things out to the prospective buyer and told him to save his money because I wasn't going to put my name on a survey.

Anyway, I have also seen the boat that CD was talking about, its worth a look. If you do want to come down, I also know of a gulfstar thats owned by an anal-retentive elderly (he'll shoot me for saying that) engineer thats worth a look too.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 05-17-2007

pdxsailor is on a distinguished road
cardiac,

i would love to look at that boat in texas and would definitely love to see the Gulfstar [excellent boats]. however, i live in portland, oregon work full time and just don't have the immediate cash flow or free time to deal w/boats outside my immediate area. thanks for the advice/offer though.

-matthew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.