Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2002

LarryLevine is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

Just heard catalina 350 had a 5000 dollar price increase!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2002

doubleplay is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

It does not matter if the price increased 5K or even 10K.....
The used boat market is flooded with Catalinas and they are for people who wants the buy the biggest boat they can afford not the best..
My personal opinion is to set a budget and then go out and buy the best boat regardless of length.Otherwise you would be much happier to buy a used 36MKII with first year depreciation already in place.
Fair Winds
Old 04-29-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

I don''t know if I would say the "used boat market is flooded with ''all'' types of Catalinas". Maybe Catalinas over 5-7 years old. Especially the ones that don''t have the newer features, like the walk thru transom. Try and get a late model (1998-2001) Catalina 36MKII. Its not that easy! There are not a lot on the market and the ones that are, are not much cheaper than a new one !!.

Take a look searching on this national paper/website (Soundings)

http://boats.soundingsonline.com/adsearch.html

Some $125-$132k ! with a 1998 C36MKII at $118k. That is maybe more than the boat was new. I guess it depends what was added and the condition. But you are correct, if you are vigilant and keep looking you can probably get a real nice "fairly new" Catalina 36MKII at a good price. (I found one that was almost a steal....on the market less than a week and I made an offer, before everybody else.....he,he,he)

I love my C36MKII but sometimes some people want something different and the C350 offers that. There are alot of very nice features incorporated in the new C350 that would be nice to have on my boat. (But no boat in this size range can beat the C36 main salon...;-).

ps. BTW I could afford a more expensive boat, but I did not find a boat in the size range I was looking for (36'') that I liked better for what I do.....extended coastal cruising with a SO and 2 kids). Not the Sabre or the Tartan. I wanted a nice easy to walk through transom (kids are still little) and the observation seats and the love the way the salon is set-up. Yes, absolutely other boats have a higher quality workmanship and joinery and other things but I for what I do.....it is the "best" AND its a pretty darn good sailing boat...(nope not the best, but very stable for what it is and that''s what I wanted)
Old 04-30-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
CATALINA 350 need input

Yes but there are 31 one Catalina 36 mk II built after 1998 on Yachtworld.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2002

CATALINA 350 need input

Yes typically I don''t go to that site to look . Just went & I saw 18 from 1998 on for sale in the US. But that doesn''t matter. There are over 2100 built .

I wonder what is going on with the 1998 one from Texas. Asking $140k. Maybe it has gold plated plumbing fixtures...;-)

I''m still quite amazed at the prices though . Most are still in the $120''s and $130 ranges. That is about the price of a new one commissioned !!

Whether people like Catalina''s or not the fact remains that alot of these boats (C36 for example) sell used for almost as much as when they were new and probably have one of the highest percentage of return for resale. Its supply and demand and for the money its the most boat for the dollar .(I did not say the best boat money could buy)
Old 05-01-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
CATALINA 350 need input

I am not knocking Catalinas and although that it does not match my experience helping people who are looking for a used one, I really am not refuting your claim that they "probably have one of the highest percentage of return for resale", but you can''t jusdge by asking prices on a late model boat. In my expeerience, there is generally a larger price difference between asking prices and actual sales prices on late model boats. I watched a couple late model boats over a period of time. They started out with asking prices that were close to what the owners had in them, but actually sold somewhere well below 15% and in at least two cases closer to 25% lower than asking price after being on the market for a fairly long time. Most used boats seem to sell within 10% to 12% of their asking price.

Jeff
Old 05-01-2002

CATALINA 350 need input

Yes that is true. I have also noted that most boat selling pricing are about 10-15% of the asking prices. Its very rare that someone gets thier asking price. In my opinion if they do, then they probably didn''t ask enough for the boat.
Old 05-10-2002

LarryLevine is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

The Catalina 350 is 25000 dollars more than the Catalina 34mk11 Can I justify spending so much more foR the 350. I WILL PROBABLY GET A BETTER RESALE ON THE 350 WITH SO MANY 34S ON THE MARKET. i AM A LIITLE BIT UNEASY ABOUT BYING A NEW 34 WITH SO MANY RESALES OUT IN THE MARKETPLACE. aNY OPINIONS?
Old 05-10-2002

CATALINA 350 need input

I don''t know. I really think you should buy the boat that really makes you happy. These 2 boats are set up very different. I don''t think you should concern yourself with the resale value too much. There are a lot of C34''s but they are popular and I don''t think you would have a problem getting a decent price for a used one if it was taken care of. At least I know that is the case for the C36''s.

Remember. Go with the one that makes you smile everytime you go to her.....(same philosophy as with wives)
Old 05-11-2002

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

Well, If you are going to finance the boat,$2500 is really not much at all for a lot more boat. Most important, go with the boat that you seem to feel at home with and can create a visualization of life with the boat. Look at the pictures, review the specs, read the descriptions, (I''d say look at owner reviews but that would be a hard task right now on the 350).

Does one boat present more of an "excitment" than the other to you? Go with it.. Don''t concern yourself with re-sale right now because if you move up or down (in terms of size) within 5-8 years, you will more than likely get what you paid or close to it on either boat. And you just might not want to ever part with it at all in which case who cares about re-sale? You are not just buying a boat, you are creating a life for yourself and your boat will be a big part of it.

Let us know what you decide to do!!!
What ever it is, best of luck to you!