Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2002

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

I was looking at a Catalina 350. It is quite impressive.

My question is, what does the 13'' beam do the tendency to capsize (in heavy conditions) formula?

Isn''t there a point where a boat begins to resist capsize and that point becomes more dangerous the wider the beam and shallower the draft? Well, how is 4''6 on the wing keel and 13'' beam on a boat with an LOA of 35''3" and displacement of around 14,000 lbs?

Just curious. I do like the 350 quite a bit. It may just have my name on it soon. I do have a concern regarding design elements.

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2002

IvaU is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

I purchased a C350 at Sail Expo with Tidewater Yachts in Havre deGrace Maryland. I could not have had a better experience with this dealer, or have made a better decision on the boat. The 350 has bigger and more winches than the Hunter 35. It has a standard windlass, reefer, real traveler, inboard stays, electric head, real mattresses on the bunks, a full stayed rig, two D batteries, a 135 v/s a 110 jib, bigger tanks, more hatches and opening ports, ST speed and depth standard. All the above and more was a option on the Hunter. Add a show discount and the C350 was a no brainer, needless to say once I saw the 350 I did not even go back to see the Hunter. This boat was my boat. Any questions e-mail me at Wndchime11@aol.com. Ivana
Old 07-29-2002

dougneal is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

We purchased our 350 (hull #26) in May and we expect delivery at the end of August. Certainly a long wait (even harder given it will be here at the end of summer) but I did get a chance to sail on hull #1 a few weeks ago. Overall, it sailed great... we had 15kts on the beam, 3-4ft waves and she seemed to sprint along nicely. We weren''t able to keep up with a Catlina 42 running next to us (obviously) but the 42 didn''t sprint away from us either. I was most impressed with her turning radius, very tight and quick to respond.

I agree with a lot of the comments I have read on this forum... mostly the thoughts that no boat is perfect and it is really a personal decision. We were seriously considering a 36 but felt that the salon layout on the 350 was roomier and would better suit our small children.

Old 07-30-2002

Bluesmoods is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

ATTENTION C-350 OWNERS and OWNERS TO BE:

Starting an " Official" Owners association here....

Please e- mail me your contact information and hull number if you have it.

Thanks

350 is a great boat all around. Good performer, nice living accomodation.. Well thought out..

Look forward to exchanging ideas and organizing various activities!

E-mail address: support@wepi.com

Old 08-14-2002

gerryn926 is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

What first year Depreciation????
I bought a 2000 MKII at Miami boat show. My boat is worth dollar for dollar what I paid for it. How do I know. Because I had an offer from someone to purchase it. Sure I have added a few options to it, but what boat owner doesn''t?

When we decided to by a 36MKII we looked all over and decided the $5k to $10k price difference in a 2-3 year old model was not worth the savings. At the marina where we picked up our boat there was a 2 year old boat for $8k less and was bare bones I got roller main, air conditioning etc.

If you want depreciation you are going to have to go back more than a year, try 5 years.

P.S. I was on the 35 at Miami show and all I can say I would have ordered that boat instead of mine if it was available.
Old 08-14-2002

gerryn926 is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

Ok, you are not comparing apples to apples, a 350 should be compared to a 36, when in fact it is longer at the waterline than a 36 and a whole world away from a 34.
Old 09-15-2002

LarryLevine is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

I would be interested to hear from any new 350 owners. Is it worth the price? Any second thoughts? Anything you would like to see changed by Catalina?
Old 09-23-2002

rjwright is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

I''ll be happy to share my observations. I recently had the chance to see the new 350 side by side with a 36-II, along with my friend who has owned a 36-II. I''ll start by giving Catalina good marks for continuing to improve and evolve their designs. That and their popularity tells me they serve their market well. It was interesting to note that the price of <this> 350 was $13,000 more than the 36-II along side it. (Both were "loaded", i.e. air conditioning, autopilot, etc.) I didn''t take a hard look at the numbers because I was not a buyer...just a looker I think it is probably safe to say that the selling costs are sufficiently close enough that it comes down to which boat you prefer. To me, the major differences were:

The lines of the 350 are the obvious result of attempting to maximize interior space. The freeboard of the 350 is considerably greater than the 36, the cabin top is more pronounced and the foredeck has all but disappeared on the 350 relative to the 36-II.
The lines of the 350 were not unpleasant, but the 36-II looked much more aesthtically pleasing to me.

I immediately noted the hardware on the 350...Harken winches, properly sized, an anchor roller designed for two anchors (an improvement over the 36-II), an incredibly goofy setup whereby the furling line for the headsail meanders across the foredeck, up the cabintop and then back to the cockpit. Who thought that up? A real toe hanger in the wrong place. Most sailors have those lines running back along the toe rail for a reason...they are out of the way! I will give Catalina credit for the midship cleats on the 350 and the fact that they seem to have extended the jib tracks farther forward than on the 36-II. (More on this later).

The cockpit was generally well laid out. I personally prefer not having an enormous fixed cockpit table taking up all that room. I personally prefer the "fold them up when you need them" starboard cockpit tables, which attach to the pedestal guards. Not an option, here. The wheel on the 350 is smaller than the 36-II, which will undoubtedly make the cockpit more easily navigated, but is a trade-off for the helmsman. Locker space is very impressive and the propane locker has been upgraded and improved to hold two propane bottles. The only negative was the remarkably small and totally inadequate scupper drain size. What is up with that!

Down below is always a compromise, but Catalina has done an admirable job of making use of the space. I really don''t understand the need for 6''9" headroom, though. The forward cabin would barely be adequate for someone of my height to sleep in that peculiarly shaped v-berth. Why not let that thing extend all the way from side to side?
The main thing you are giving up in the 350 is the ability to sleep anyone in the "main cabin", as compared to the 36-II. The "nav station" seemed an afterthought, but the truth is the the average boat buyer would probably rather have a place for the TV/VCR, which the 350 has, than a nav station, which it does not. The electrical panels and system were impressive and well laid out.
Beyond that, the 350 seemed well laid out and comfortable.

All told, I like the 350. I would probably prefer the 36-II for a number of reasons. The nonskid issue (molded vs rolled/sprayed) doesn''t bother me. I am a little concerned by the freeboard, particularly given the average Catalina buyer''s odd preference for tall rigs, wing keels and carrying way too much headsail most of the time. (The jib tracks on the 36-II do not extend far enough forward to even allow a sailor to properly fly a small jib, and don''t even bother telling me that a mostly furled 150 light air sail is going to serve in heavy weather).
At least Catalina seems to have fixed that on the 350, although the fact the most Catalina owners never seem to notice such things says a lot about what they hold important in a boat.

Oh, one last thing Deck stepped mast (350) or keel stepped mast (36-II). Both are nice boats and I commend Catalina for their continued success in building boats that are popular and successful.

Randy
Old 09-23-2002

mogul11 is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

Randy some interesting observations, if you read my review of 2 months ago we seem to have the same take on the 350. This past weekend I got a chance to look at it again at a local in the water boat show. My feelings have not changed substantially since our first walk through in July. Nice boat but not for us, the forward cabin which has the Centerline berth will NOT FIT 2 People unless they are having sex on top of each other, not a bad thing except at my age 50''s I couldn''t DO IT for 8 hours every night. I too believe the main salon is pretty stark but what I dislike the most was the fact that the forward starboard seat is out of the salon and parallel to the head door.

With this said there where some things we really liked about the boat over the 36II. For starters the aft cabin is useable and the separate freezer are nice improvements over the 36.

As for cost the 350 is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE when you get down to it. A couple of reasons, the list for the base boat is 3-4K more because it comes with some more stuff, electric head,up down windlass etc, secondly the options are more expensive on it. Although you could use a wheel pilot on it the diamond pedestal won''t allow it so the cost goes from a $750 DIY project to a 5K below deck unit. Lastly, it is in demand right now since there are only so many out there to buy, why discount?

It really boils down to what you are looking for, I am sure for some the 350 is the way to do, for others not. My feeling if I am going to spend 150K it won''t be on a 350 catalina, we would look elsewhere, maybe used.

A thought on your statement on Catalina always looking to upgrade their designs. I can''t agree with that statement at all. Catalina has always been a conservativly run operation. Designs change slowly (maybe a good thing since boats are around for a long time)but my real concern is that upgrades take forever to happen. An excellant example is in the galley. Recently the trend in new boat interior design has been to add a separate freezer. Not a big deal you would think, but Catalina refuses to make a simple design change to the galley to incorporate this improvement. Crusiers are always looking for storage and this could be added to many Catalina''s without hull or interior liner changes but in most cases hasn''t happened. Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau always taught the fact that they listen to their customers and make changes. Here''s and idea, why not talk to people who didn''t buy their boats and find out why and what features they were looking for that led them to a competitor.
Old 09-29-2002

LarryLevine is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

Not even a contest The 350 wins hands down