Hunter 410 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-15-2000 Thread Starter

Hunter 410

I am thinking of buying a 1998 410 Hunter with in mast furling is this good or bad on this boat? Any info on this model is wanted.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2010

Send a message via MSN to Meran410
Smile 1998 Hunter 410 purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3441 View Post
I am thinking of buying a 1998 410 Hunter with in mast furling is this good or bad on this boat? Any info on this model is wanted.
Dan, I owned a 1998 Hunter 410 for 9 months. I was very pleased with it. They had problem with the carbon fiber rudder posts and it's a good idea that it be replaced with a Stainless. Newer boats used the Stainless posts. I swear by the Yanmar 50. I usually got about .6 gal/hr at 2700 RPM. Very reliable.The refrigeration was acceptable however the gaskets around the freezer and fridge were problematic. Please reply if you wish more info. I lived aboard it for about 9 months until it was totaled in a marina fire caused by a neighboring boat while all were stored on the hard. I just purchased a 2000 410 again in Bayfield and expect to launch in early June. mariner356@hotmail.com
post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2010

I don't have any knowledge as to this particular boat's system but there has been a lot of negative commentary on inmast furling. It is a wonderful convenince until it jams and then it is a real problem, depending on the conditions. I have no personal expereince with them, however.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-16-2010

I found the sail would jam when I DID NOT keep the non tensioned taught with some degree of drag as I rolled in the sail. Otherwise I really didn't have any difficulty. After purchase, I found the top swivel of the roller furled main had a bolt(s) stripped. I had to have it repaired and since that time worked fine. Roller furling was so important for me as I took my first Hunter 410 (1998) from Bayfield Wi as far as Vero Beach Florida by water. I did have crew much of the time however I did single hand it for weeks at a time and roller furling both main and jib were of utmost importance. Do you have any more questions? I'm happy to offer what I can.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-28-2010

I note that the original post is from 2000, but in case others stumble upon this tread, I figured I'd respond...

I never owned one but I did charter a 2007 Hunter 410 in the Northern Chesapeake Bay on three different occasions. I also completed three or four ASA instructional courses on the same boat.

While I wouldn't take it across the Atlantic, for the Norther Bay it was ideal. The boat was laid out well and sailed relatively well in light wind. I've never had a problem with in-mast furling, but like someone else said, I think it's good until it goes bad.

So yeah, overall it's a good boat so long as you're not crossing any oceans.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-28-2010

The 2007 Hunter 410

Nick,

I read your comment today on the 2007 Hunter 410. I owned a 1998 Hunter 410 and now own a 2000 Hunter 410. It's a small thing but I think the model style/series of 410's ran from 1998 through 2003. I think the model you refer to may be a bit different than mine or the original post.

Roger
Meran410

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.