SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Flying Dutchman (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/3262-flying-dutchman.html)

gknopp 02-06-2002 09:04 AM

Flying Dutchman

I was thinking of buying a day sailor for use here on the lakes in Arizona. When I first learned to sail, I did so on and FD. Ive looked around the web and cant find any information. Are these boats still made? Why cant I find any used ones on the iboats or other ''for sale'' websites?

Gary

thomas s 02-06-2002 11:31 AM

Flying Dutchman

Im not positive on this, but these boats have quite a cult following with prices fetching very high 5000 to 10000 dollars. A very expensive day sailor.
thomas

manateee_gene 02-06-2002 03:02 PM

Flying Dutchman

try www.Latitude38.com Classified page.
most of tje boats are west coast.Also Santana the same way!! Good luck!

paulk 02-06-2002 03:41 PM

Flying Dutchman

Another option might be a 505. Not as much the "thoroughbred" as the FD, but somewhat similar in idea, fun to sail, and perhaps more of them nearer you.

manateee_gene 02-06-2002 06:51 PM

Flying Dutchman

try a lido 14 for about 1500 you''ll always get your investment back!

Jeff_H 02-08-2002 03:40 AM

Flying Dutchman

These Olympic class trapeze boats are really neat but they are not exactly casual daysailors. They really take big crew in the over 200 lb range to keep them on their feet and going. I have raced on them (Yes, I was and still am too light to be decent crew) and 505''s back when I was a teenager. Back then these were grand prix level boats.

They are very fast and fun to sail but are extremely challenging. They were fragile and had to be handled carefully. You can sometimes find one sitting semi-abandoned at a sailing club that specializes in one design fleets.

I do think that a boat like a Thistle, Lightning, or Highlander offer a reasonable level of performance and yet are more suitable for daysailing and messing about. If you are really interested in more speed, you might also consider a small high performance catamarran.

Jeff

mark6277 02-24-2002 07:33 AM

Flying Dutchman

Gary,
Don''t know much about FD but in the 80''s I purchased a Harken made,(Vanguard) Volant. It is 18 feet long and I was told that Harken used the FD mold and the difference was slightly less sail area and an ice box, suitable for sereral refreshemnts, in the foredeck.

I have sailed this boat, with my young family, for several years and have had a great deal of fun racing and crusing this boat. Harken no longer makes this unit, or any boat that I know about.

101254 10-24-2002 06:34 AM

Flying Dutchman

I also have a Volant. Great Boat. I own sail # 59 which I purchased new. I was lucky enough to be part of the team that helped Harken design the deck layout. Let me know where you are located. Perhaps our sailing pathes will cross. Dave

jre 10-24-2002 05:52 PM

Flying Dutchman

Hi Gary,
If you''re interested in selling the Volant, please let me know.
Thanks,
Bob

Edboat 10-29-2002 01:36 AM

Flying Dutchman

There is a web site for both the International FD Class Association as well as the U.S. FD association.
I have 2 of them and they are great boats but may be a "little" much for a daysailor.