Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Check this out...
eBay Motors: BRISTOL 29.9~BEAUTIFUL CONDITION~READY TO SAIL (item 220112627535 end time May-25-07 06:45:54 PDT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Other Boats

Hello,

Since you are looking at 20 year old boats (give or take a few years), IMHO, how the boat is maintained is just as important as who the builder / designer were.

For example, I would rather have a well maintained Catalina 30 over a poorly maintained Tartan 30.

In 2004 I was in the same position as you - looking for a 28 - 32' racer / cruiser for day sails and the occassional over night / weekend trip. My sailing area is the Long Island sound - similar to yours. My budget was around 20K, again similar to yours.

My ideal boat (for me and my requirements) was a Catalina 30. However, good ones were too much money. I looked at many boats, including S2 (9.2A) , O'day (28, 30, 31), Irwin (30, 31), Islander (Bahama 30), C&C (29, 30), Hunter (30, 31, 34), Ericson (28), Newport, and a few others.

Again, IMHO, there was not that much difference between the boats. To me, the Irwins were not well made, I did not like the Hunters either so I took both of those off my list. I heard good things about S2, and I looked at 5 of them. All had bad leaks around the chainplates and as a result had wet areas and moldy, mildewed interiors. So I took the S2 off my list as well.

The O'day boats were nice but I didn't like the teak toe rail. I also didn't find a great one.

I was at one boat yard looking at an S2 (which was in poor condition) so I asked the broker what else he had that I could look at. The next boat over was a 1986 Newport 28. I went aboard and was impressed. All the creature comforts I wanted (hot + cold pressure water, head w/shower, galley, berths for five), plus the sailing and boat parts I wanted (diesel inboard, wheel steering, self tailing winches, cabin top mounted traveler, lines led aft, etc.). Size wise it was definitely smaller than a Catalina 30, but big enough for my family of 5 (3 young kids). Compared to the Catalina the Newport had a nicer interior with teak and holly sole, padded head liner, teak faced cabinets, etc.

The best news was that it was cheap. I ended up buying it for $15K with decent sails (including an almost new asymmetric sprinnaker with dousing sock), autopilot, etc. I enjoyed that boat for 3 years. In the fall I moved up to an O'day 35 and sold the Newport a month ago.

So, to conclude, you should consider Newport (28 and 30) and O'day (28, 30, 31) as well. You may be surprised. I'm sure you can buy very nice Newports for $15 - 20K. Same thing for O'day.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2007

BADG is on a distinguished road
Barry, that is a great post thanks for sharing your experiences in your search which sounds very similar to mine. I just dug out an old post from JeffH on boats in this "category" that I had printed last year. Both will help me to expand my search.

I am looking at a C&C 29 tomorrow that looks to be VERY well maintained, slightly more than $20k but may be worth it - fingers crossed.

USCGRET1990, I like Bristols a lot but not a fan of the full keel and since not planning bluewater expeditions won't fully reap the benefits of a full keel.

Last edited by BADG; 05-21-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I will quote you:

"My intent is to utilize the boat for day sails along the Massachusetts coast with some overnights to the Cape & Islands, Block Island and Newport. No bluewater in my immediate future. I'd like to be comfortable w/ the wife and two young children and find that perfect ( ) balance between performance and comfort (not a racer though).".

So why do you worry with Catalina's performance??

And quoting you again:

"No, I have nothing against a Catalina but thought the performance was limited, I could be wrong. Please correct me if so."

Consider your self corrected...if you can sail good and well you can make even a catalina go fast.

A good sailor will do better in a Catalina, Beneteau or other boat than a bad sailor in a X-Yachts.

Catalinas, Beneteaus etc. are a lot of roomy boat for a cheap price.

This is what you said, right?? I still say that based on what you want to sail and where you want to sail, the Catalina will do fine, as wil a Beneteau or a Jeanneau.

A good guitar player will play anything on a guitar with 4 strings.....Popular saying by a Poetuguese wise man called Alex
Old 05-21-2007

BADG is on a distinguished road
Giu, not being a racer does not mean that I am not at all interested in speed. I would like to get there sooner when I HAVE to. I say that I am concerned with a Catalinas performance as I am researching that and would like feed back, you know the real kind that can be used in making a decision.

I read your first post and it is noted that you consider a benehuntelina a perfect boat for me but I mean no disrespect to you to carry on the discussion with others who choose to do so about other boats.

BTW, thanks for the real information on the Portugese wine, I bought 4 bottles. I'll let you know my thoughts after I've tasted it.
Old 05-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
By all means I did not feel disrespected or such, on the contraire, the more you hear ans the more opinions you get the better.

I thought you were not worried with speed, but you are, I did not understand that, sorry.

I saw a few Catalinas yesterday, on a yard, and poked around looking.
They are OK. They are (to my european eye) uglier than the Beneteaus and Jeanneaus, but that is an aesthetics opinion...

Ahhh 4 bottles of wine?? was it the Feitoria?? Hummm you did good, please, if it is the red wine, no refrigerator, ok?? confortable room temperature will do, and PLEASE...open at least 1 hour before drinking...
Old 05-21-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I was cruising along at 6.5 to 7.5 knots most of the day on Saturday.
Not fast but efficient enough for my needs as a cruiser, and we were very comfortable.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1
I was cruising along at 6.5 to 7.5 knots most of the day on Saturday.
Not fast but efficient enough for my needs as a cruiser, and we were very comfortable.

TJ, your boat can be a fast boat, if you want to...

And according to some calculations, it is .10 kts faster than a Catalina 36. Has a larger SA/D, 1000lbs less displacement, 80sqf more sail, but is less confortable. Unfortunately its blue...ehehehehehe

Last edited by Giulietta; 05-21-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
TJK,

WOW!! Be careful at those speeds. Very dangerous. Put some BBQ grills on there and slow them down. If that does not work, a few solar panels will do it.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-21-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
TJK,

WOW!! Be careful at those speeds. Very dangerous. Put some BBQ grills on there and slow them down. If that does not work, a few solar panels will do it.

- CD
I sense a bit of sarcasim in the last two posts
We are perfectly ok with that.
All that matters is that we were having fun on the water.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.