Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007

BADG is on a distinguished road
Buying a boat. Arggghhhh!?!?!?!?!?

Ok, I am starting the process again as I had given up for a while. My only previous boats were a sunfish on the lake growing up and a Catalina 16 that I sold 3 years ago. Currently I belong to a club on the local bay that I can sail Flying Scots and Marshall 15's so my experience is primarily on small boats even though I've been on many larger boats.

Previously I had been looking at Sabre, Tartan, CS, S2 etc in the 28-34' range. I like the boats a lot but not sure I want to drop 25-35k on a 20-30 year old boat right yet as I have a growing family.

My intent is to utilize the boat for day sails along the Massachusetts coast with some overnights to the Cape & Islands, Block Island and Newport. No bluewater in my immediate future. I'd like to be comfortable w/ the wife and two young children and find that perfect ( ) balance between performance and comfort (not a racer though). I'd also like to buy quality but as I mentioned the top of the class (see boats noted above) are a bit pricey. In this second effort I have been considering the likes of Islander Bahama 30 and some C&C's.

What else is out there that I should consider that would be the next step down from the Sabres, Tartans & CS's? I like the C&C's a lot but they can still be pricey. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
How about Pearsons?

Currently at 25 46 43 N 80 11 08 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADG
What else is out there that I should consider that would be the next step down from the Sabres, Tartans & CS's? I like the C&C's a lot but they can still be pricey. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Has all the bad press Catalina has been given on this site soured you against them If not there are over 230 C30's out on Yachtworld and quite a few of them in your/our area. A few C34's out there too, but it sounds like that may be over budget. We have spent a very comfortable week out on Block Island and elesewhere in the are on our first (c28) Catalina.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 05-21-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
From what I saw of Catalinas and for what you want..CATALINA is the boat for you.
Old 05-21-2007

BADG is on a distinguished road
No, I have nothing against a Catalina but thought the performance was limited, I could be wrong. Please correct me if so.

I am considering Pearson but wasnt sure if I could stay closer to $20k and post 1980 with a Pearson - I'll take another look.

Others I've begun to look into besides Islander, 'linas and Pearson are Oday & Newport.
Old 05-21-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
From what I saw of Catalinas and for what you want..CATALINA is the boat for you.
OK, who are you, and what did you do with ALex?

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 05-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Ohhh Nooo ....... Giu breathed some good New England air and has ..... Seen The Light
Old 05-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADG
No, I have nothing against a Catalina but thought the performance was limited, I could be wrong. Please correct me if so.
Well...... I'd have to say the c30 is no racer but with the tall rig would probably do OK.
Old 05-21-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I do not know what cost you are trying to stay at, but the Catalina 320 is a very nic sailing boat and performs very well. You would like it.

As far as any potential bad press, it is nothing more than a joke/harrasment towards me... not Catalina. In my strong opinion, and that of many others on this board and elsewhere, Catalina makes the best production boat. It will serve you well and you will be pleased. For your intended use, a "bluewater" type boat would be a waste of money and a poor investment. With a family, you need as large of a boat as you can take or you will be cramped and uncomfortable.

Go buy a Catalina. You will be happy until you can trade up to that Hylas.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-21-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad

You will be happy until you can trade up to that............Beneteau!!!!!!
Good advise CD.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White